Holiday Parks and Campsites in Christchurch
Holiday parks in Christchurch have a range of facilities of a high standard. Unsurprisingly, this comes at a high price. They also offer a number of accommodation types, but campers can always rely on holiday parks to have powered sites to plug up your campervan and tent sites (providing there is availability). For more on what to expect from a holiday park, check outÂ Accommodation Guide to Holiday Parks in New Zealand
Department of Conservation (DoC) Campground
The Department of Conservation (DoC) maintains one campsite in Christchurch. Facilities include flush toilets and water supply.
Freedom Camping in Christchurch
Freedom camping is legal only to those with a certified self-contained vehicle. Avoid prohibited freedom camping areas. More is explained in the Freedom Camping section below.
Holiday Parks in Christchurch
Outskirts of Christchurch
- Woodend Beach Holiday Park, Woodend Beach – NZ$15-$24Â per personÂ for a tent/powered site
- Rangiora Leigh Holiday Park, Rangiora – NZ$25Â for two people in a tent/powered site
- All Seasons Christchurch Kiwi Holiday Park, Woolston – NZ$28 per person for a tent/powered site
- Spencer Beach Holiday Park, Spencerville – NZ$17-19 per person for a tent/powered site
- North South Holiday Park, HarewoodÂ – NZ$20-$26 per person for a tent/powered site
- Christchurch Top 10 Holiday Park, Papanui – NZ$44-$52 for two people in a tent/powered site
- Amber Kiwi Holiday Park, Middleton – NZ$44-$50Â for two people in a tent/powered site
- 219 on Johns Motel & Holiday Park, Belfast – NZ$29-$35Â for two people in a tent/powered site
- South Brighton Holiday Park, South Brighton – NZ$19-$20 per personÂ for a tent/powered site
- Alpine View Holiday Park, Islington – NZ$20-$35Â for two people in a tent/powered site
- Riverlands Holiday Park, Kaiapoi – NZ$24-$30Â for two people in a tent/powered site
- Pascoe Park, Styx – NZ$12-$15Â for two people in a tent/powered site
Department of Conservation Campsite
There is only one campsite maintained by the DoC in Christchurch:
- Awaroa/Godley Head – NZ$13 per person
Suitable for tents and motorhomes.
Book on the DoC website
Freedom camping in Christchurch
Freedom camping in Christchurch is only permitted to those with a certified self-contained vehicle. Freedom camping in a non-self-contained vehicle or tent is illegal.
Those in a self-contained campervan can camp for a maximum of two nightsÂ in most of the public areas in the city. There are no time restrictions for freedom camping in Yaldhurst, Islington and Templeton (the area beyond Christchurch Airport).
Prohibited freedom camping areas to all vehicles include:
- Christchurch city centre (anywhere enclosed in Deans Ave, Harper Ave, Bealey Ave, Fitzgerald Ave and Moorhouse Ave)
- The car park at New Brighton Beach
- Lyttleton town centre
For a more detailed map on the prohibited freedom camping areas, check out the Christchurch City Council website.
When freedom camping, please respect the environment and stick to theÂ 11 Golden Rules of Camping in New Zealand.