What You Need to Know About the New Zealand ETA & Visitor Levy

(c) Pexels

What is the NZeTA and IVL for New Zealand?

Some visitors and travellers transiting in New Zealand are required to have an NZeTA (New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority) as well as an IVL (International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy) before travelling to New Zealand. In this guide to the New Zealand ETA and IVL, we’ll go through who needs to request an NZeTA and IVL, how to request them, and how much they cost.According to Immigration New Zealand, the NZeTA is to “improve the way travellers are assessed before they arrive in New Zealand, andhelp reduce the time needed for border clearance and strengthen border security.” The IVL is said to be “a way for travellers to contribute directly to the tourism infrastructure they use and to help protect and enhance the natural environment”.For more information on travelling to New Zealand, seeEverything You Need to Know About Arriving in a New Zealand Airport, as well asArriving in Auckland Airport.

Amazon NZ

Who Needs an NZeTA and IVL for New Zealand?

The New Zealand ETA and IVL do not apply to every traveller coming to New Zealand (but the vast majority). You must pay for an NZeTA and IVL if you are one of the following:

  • A visitor to New Zealand from a visa waiver country (see list below)
  • Are going to be in transit in New Zealand and are from a transit visa waiver country (see list below)
  • A permanent resident of Australia.

These conditions apply to both flight and cruise ship passengers.You do not need to request an NZeTA or IVL if you are already holding a valid New Zealand visa (such as the Working Holiday Visa), are a New Zealand citizen or an Australian citizen.

Pixabay© Pixabay

Visitor visa waiver countries

Those who hold a passport from one of the following countries must request a New Zealand ETA before travelling to New Zealand.


Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Iceland, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland,Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Vatican City


Canada, United States of America


Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Uruguay


Bahrain, Israel, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates


Brunei, Korea (South), Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan


South Africa, Seychelles,MauritiusList date: 2019. For the full list please refer tothe official visa waiver countries page.Learn more about the visitor visa inVisitor Visa: Do You Need a Visa to Visit New Zealand?

Pexels© Pexels

Transit Visa Waiver Countries

Those who hold a passport from one of the following countries must request a New Zealand ETA before transiting in New Zealand.Bahamas, Bermuda, Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Federated States of Micronesia, Indonesia, Kiribati, Nauru, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Republic of Marshall Islands, Samia, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanua, Venezuela.List date: 2019. For the full list please refer to the official transit visa waiver countries page.

Pexels© Pexels

How to GEt an NZeTA and Pay your IVL

You must request and pay for an NZeTA and IVL before you travel to New Zealand. It is best to request them as soon as possible, as it can take up to 72 hours for an NZeTA approval.There are two ways of paying for the NZeTA and IVL:

How Much Does it Cost?
  • NZ$9 through the mobile app
  • NZ$12 through the website form
  • NZ$35 per person for the IVL – this is charged in the same transaction as your NZeTA
How Long are they Valid For?

The NZeTA and IVL are valid for multiple visits and transits to New Zealand for up to two years.

What Happens if You Don’t Have an NZeTA?

Simply put, you will not be allowed to board the plane or cruise to New Zealand without an NZeTA if you require one.You may be given the opportunity to request an NZeTA when you check in for your flight or cruise. However, if Immigration New Zealand doesn’t process your NZeTA in time for your flight or cruise, or if your request is declined, you will not be allowed to board.For more advice, seeNew Zealand Travel Advice: How to Plan a Trip to New Zealand.

Was this article useful?

Leave a Reply