The Only Wellington Accommodation List You’ll Ever Need
It’s not every day that you get to stay in the capital of New Zealand. Make sure the experience is perfect by staying in one of the best accommodations in Wellington.
This list is compiled by New Zealand’s largest travel guide, featuring some of the most lavish hotels to the most vibrant hostels; the best family-friendly accommodations to the most authentic homestays. Choose the right stay, whether it’s in the city centre or the suburbs, in this ultimate list of Wellington accommodations.
1. QT Wellington – Iconic Hotel Near the Te Papa Museum
A design-driven hotel with a captivating collection of art to admire, QT Wellington is well worth saving for a special occasion. The four-star stay features sublime restaurants and a cocktail bar, as well as ranks high among our 25 Best Hotels in Wellington.
Check QT Wellington out:
2. The Dwellington – Cheap Accommodation in Wellington
Budget travellers looking for a refreshing yet affordable place to stay in the capital, check out The Dwellington. The modern hostel includes some unique facilities, like a boutique cinema room, custom-timber bunks and female-only dorms, as well as more standard set-ups including private rooms. See more like this in the 7 Best Backpacker Hostels in Wellington.
Check The Dwellington out:
- The Dwellington on Booking.com
- The Dwellington on HostelWorld
- The Dwellington on Trip.com
- The Dwellington on Expedia
3. Bolton Hotel – Five-Star Hotel in Wellington City Centre
The Bolton Hotel is a five-star hotel that boasts the largest city-centre room sizes. You’ll have access to your own kitchen facilities, as well as fine dining at the Artisan restaurant and casual dining at the Lobby Cafe & Bar. Browse similar stays in the 15 Best Luxury Accommodations in Wellington.
Check Bolton Hotel out:
4. InterContinental Wellington – Luxury Hotel Near the Ferry Terminal
Settle for nothing less than absolute luxury when you stay at the InterContinental Wellington. The five-star hotel located adjacent to the Wellington Waterfront and city centre offers a vast array of services, including babysitting, nannying, shoe shining, private limousines and much more.
Check InterContinental Wellington out:
- InterContinental Wellington on Booking.com
- InterContinental Wellington on Trip.com
- InterContinental Wellington on Expedia
5. Quest on Thorndon – Apartment Accommodation in Wellington
The international aparthotel brand has quite a presence in the capital, but Quest on Thorndon tops it in this list of accommodations in Wellington for its convenient location by the train station and city centre, as well as for its reasonable rates.
Check Quest on Thorndon out:
6. The Marion Hostel – Popular Hostel in Wellington
The Marion Hostel might be primarily for budgeting backpackers, but even more discerning travellers might like the private rooms of this stylish city-centre hostel with modern industrial-style interiors.
Check The Marion Hostel out:
- The Marion Hostel on Booking.com
- The Marion Hostel on HostelWorld
- The Marion Hostel on Trip.com
- The Marion Hostel on Expedia
7. Willis Village – Self-Contained Accommodation in Wellington Central
Here is your own spacious self-contained apartment in the city centre; Willis Village provides everything you need for a home-away-from-home experience. Each apartment is set across two floors and opens up onto a private patio.
Check Willis Village out:
8. U Boutique Hotel – Pet-Friendly Accommodation in Wellington
Impossible to miss with its quirky murals on the exterior, U Boutique Hotel is a compact hotel with a stylish room for solo travellers up to families. Stay in one of their budget rooms or opt for a more lavish apartment with a spa pool – either way, this hotel easily makes it high on our list of best accommodations in Wellington.
Check U Boutique Hotel out:
9. James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor – Hotel on Lambton Quay
Stay right in the middle of the action at the James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor. The Cable Car, Parliament and shopping/dining precincts are on your doorstep to enjoy in between nights in your luxurious room. Some rooms feature a welcome snack platter, complimentary guest ironing, evening turndown and an espresso machine among other luxuries.
Check the James Cook Hotel out:
10. Wellington City Cottages – Self-Contained Accommodation Near Cuba Street
Stay in one of the quirky self-contained cottages just off the famous Cuba Street at Wellington City Cottages. When you’re not out exploring the city, relax in your stylish abode with a cute courtyard garden.
Check Wellington City Cottages out:
- Wellington City Cottages on Booking.com
- Wellington City Cottages on Trip.com
- Wellington City Cottages on Expedia
11. Astelia Apartment Hotel – Upscale Apartment Accommodation in Wellington Central
For a self-contained apartment on Willis Street that’s a little more sophisticated, set your sights on the Astelia Apartment Hotel. The studios to premium one-bedroom apartments invite you in with soothing tones and are kitted out with quality fittings.
Check Astelia Apartment Hotel out:
- Astelia Apartment Hotel on Booking.com
- Astelia Apartment Hotel on Trip.com
- Astelia Apartment Hotel on Expedia
12. Rydges Wellington – Family-Friendly Accommodation in Wellington City
It’s not too hard to get a good deal at Rydges Wellington, especially if travelling with kids who stay in the existing bedding for free. The 4.5-star Rydges hotel in the city centre offers a range of sleek and comfortable rooms. See more recommendations like this in the 15 Best Family Accommodations in Wellington.
Check Rydges Wellington out:
13. The Intrepid Hotel – Trendy Hotel Near The Opera House
The unique industrial and old-school decor certainly makes The Intrepid Hotel worth a mention on this list of the best accommodations in Wellington. While we could talk about its distinct character all day, it’s also worth mentioning the perks of a 50″ smart TV in each room, free WiFi and complimentary drinks and snacks.
Check The Intrepid Hotel out:
14. Trek Global – Popular Backpackers in Wellington City Centre
A games area with foosball and pool table, bike hire and free fresh herbs in the foyer… You know you are stepping into a cool hostel when entering Trek Global. The accommodation in Wellington city centre is split into different colours, each with its own kitchen and bathrooms, as well as an additional lounge and patio area downstairs.
Check Trek Global out:
- Trek Global on Booking.com
- Trek Global on HostelWorld
- Trek Global on Trip.com
- Trek Global on Expedia
15. Sofitel Wellington – Luxury Accommodation in Wellington
A five-star hotel that rarely fails to impress, Sofitel Wellington brings the French flair of the international hotel chain to the capital, boasting sophisticated vintage-inspired decor and indulgent cuisine. The hotel overlooks the iconic Wellington Botanic Gardens, which alone makes Sofitel easily one of the top accommodations in Wellington.
Check Sofitel Wellington out:
16. Doubletree By Hilton Wellington – Popular Hotel in the Wellington CBD
Stay in the modern international-standard hotel rooms of Doubletree By Hilton Wellington where you’re moments away from key places, like the Cable Car leading to the Botanic Gardens.
Check Doubletree By Hilton Wellington out:
- Doubletree By Hilton Wellington on Booking.com
- Doubletree By Hilton Wellington on Trip.com
- Doubletree By Hilton Wellington on Expedia
17. Pacific View Bed and Breakfast – B&B Near Miramar and Wellington Airport
A homely stay on the Miramar Peninsula, Pacific View Bed and Breakfast offers two delightful guest rooms near the airport, as well as many of the activities listed in the 10 Best Things to Do in Miramar.
Check Pacific View Bed and Breakfast out:
- Pacific View Bed and Breakfast on Booking.com
- Pacific View Bed and Breakfast on Trip.com
- Pacific View Bed and Breakfast on Expedia
18. Copthorne Hotel Wellington, Oriental Bay – Accommodation in Oriental Bay
This upscale hotel is far from the hustle and bustle of the city centre, yet only a 10-minute walk away. The Copthorne Hotel in the beachside suburb of Oriental Bay has rooms to suit most travellers, but particularly couples as we list this accommodation in the 10 Most Romantic Accommodations in Wellington.
Check Copthorne Hotel Wellington out:
- Copthorne Hotel Wellington on Booking.com
- Copthorne Hotel Wellington on Trip.com
- Copthorne Hotel Wellington on Expedia
19. TrinketBox – Holiday Home Near Wellington City Centre
Wellington city might not have a great variety of holiday homes, but a hidden gem is TrinketBox. This three-level three-bedroom holiday home in Thorndon is just a 5-10-minute walk from the city centre and nearby the Wellington Botanic Garden – one of the 21 Free & Cheap Things to Do in Wellington.
Check TrinketBox out:
20. Hotel Waterloo & Backpackers – Closest Accommodation to the Wellington Ferry Terminal
It’s a hostel that’s so good it has hosted the Queen’s entourage! Albeit, this was in 1953 before it became a backpacker hostel… Nevertheless, the essence of the historic hotel is still noticeable in Hotel Waterloo & Backpackers.
Check Hotel Waterloo & Backpackers out:
- Hotel Waterloo & Backpackers on Booking.com
- Hotel Waterloo & Backpackers on HostelWorld
- Hotel Waterloo & Backpackers on Trip.com
- Hotel Waterloo & Backpackers on Expedia
21. Richmond Guest House – Cheap Private Rooms in Wellington
Offering an alternative style of accommodation in the heart of Wellington, Richmond Guest House offers homely rooms for solo travellers, couples and adult groups. Breakfast is included in the tariff, while a communal kitchen is also available. For alternative cheap stays, check out the 15 BEST Budget Accommodations in Wellington.
Check Richmond Guest House out:
- Richmond Guest House on Booking.com
- Richmond Guest House on Trip.com
- Richmond Guest House on Expedia
22. Apollo Lodge Motel – Wellington Accommodation with Free Parking
There’s something for everyone at this city-centre motel complex with 15 apartments and 42 units – including free on-site parking! Apollo Lodge Motel has well-kept double rooms, self-contained studios and family units spread across a grand Edwardian house, as well as more contemporary buildings.
Check Apollo Lodge Motel out:
23. Mövenpick Hotel Wellington – Accor Hotel in Wellington
More five-star elegance awaits at the Mövenpick Hotel Wellington. One of the newest hotels on the scene, the premium ice cream/up-and-coming hotel brand by Accor offers a “Chocolate Hour” for guests to watch the chocolatiers work their artistry and sample some of the good stuff themselves.
Check Mövenpick Hotel Wellington out:
- Mövenpick Hotel Wellington on Booking.com
- Mövenpick Hotel Wellington on Trip.com
- Mövenpick Hotel Wellington on Expedia
24. Ohtel Wellington – Boutique Hotel on Oriental Parade
A chic five-star boutique hotel on Oriental Parade, Ohtel Wellington is furnished with vintage and class in mind. Downstairs is the delightful Ohtel Pantry offering a pleasant meeting space over a coffee or craft beer.
Check Ohtel Wellington out:
25. Trinity Hotel – Cheap Hotel in Wellington City
Trinity Hotel is everything you would expect from a hotel but for a reasonable price. Choose this hotel if you want a central location, planning on eating out/want to treat yourself to their rooftop bar. On-site parking is available at an extra cost.
Check Trinity Hotel out:
26. Capital View Motor Inn – Self-Contained Accommodation with Free Parking
Capital View Motor Inn has the advantage of free on-site parking in a very central location in Wellington. Plus, each studio has its own private kitchen and bathroom facilities. What more could you want?! For more self-contained stays, check out the 10 Best Self-Catering Accommodations in Wellington.
Check Capital View Motor Inn out:
27. Novotel Wellington – Accommodation on Lambton Quay
It’s all too easy at Novotel Wellington, located in the heart of the capital on Lambton Quay. The rooms of this 4.5-star hotel bask in natural light and offer sensational views of the city, much like many other hotels on this list of accommodations in Wellington, but we simply couldn’t miss it out.
Check Novotel Wellington out:
28. Boulcott Suites – Luxury Apartments in Wellington City Centre
Find elegance, space and style at the five-star Boulcott Suites. The apartment hotel offers stylish studio apartments, single-level suites and fully-equipped four-bedroom townhouses, so there’s something to suit all types of discerning travellers.
Check Boulcott Suites out:
29. U Residence Hotel – Boutique Apartment Hotel with Private Balconies
Another option from the U Hotel Group, U Residence Hotel offers something for those seeking more space, as well as self-catering facilities. Each of the 13 apartments has a private balcony overlooking the city.
Check U Residence Hotel out:
30. CityLife Wellington – Self-Catering Accommodation on Lambton Quay
Home-away-from-home meets luxury when you stay at CityLife Wellington by Heritage Hotels. The five-star studios and suites are complete with kitchenettes and enough room to lounge in comfort.
Check CityLife Wellington out:
31. Cambridge Hotel – Cheap Hotel and Hostel with a Restaurant
This hotel within walking distance of the city centre has a budget room for everyone. Part hotel, part hostel, the rooms of the Cambridge Hotel range from dorms to private single, twin, double and quadruple rooms.
Check the Cambridge Hotel out:
32. Gilmer Apartment Hotel – Short-Term and Long-Term Accommodation in Wellington
Sleek and simply, Gilmer Apartment Hotel offers no-fuss self-contained apartments just minutes away from Lambton Quay. The hotel offers competitive rates, from one night to one year!
Check the Gilmer Apartment Hotel out:
- Gilmer Apartment Hotel on Booking.com
- Gilmer Apartment Hotel on Trip.com
- Gilmer Apartment Hotel on Expedia
33. U Suites Kilbirnie – Group Accommodation in Wellington
Nestled between Wellington Airport, Lyall Bay and Wellington city centre, U Suites Kilbirnie is an excellent base to see it all. Stay in spacious modern apartments with rooms to suit groups and families.
Check U Suites Kilbirnie out:
34. Oaks Wellington Hotel – Hotel in Wellington CBD
What was once a Ford assembly plant is now a fresh and modern nine-storey hotel in the heart of Wellington CBD. From hotel rooms to fully self-contained apartments, Oaks Wellington Hotel has more than what you are looking for.
Check Oaks Wellington Hotel out:
- Oaks Wellington Hotel on Booking.com
- Oaks Wellington Hotel on Trip.com
- Oaks Wellington Hotel on Expedia
35. Shepherds Arms Hotel – Cheap Accommodation in Thorndon
A classic pub-style accommodation at an affordable price, the Shepherds Arms Hotel has a mix of room types above its laidback restaurant. Enjoy free WiFi and free parking, all within 10 minutes walk of the city centre.
Check Shepherds Arms Hotel out:
36. Willis Wellington Hotel – Budget Accommodation in Wellington
Situated just outside the city centre (about a 20-minute walk to the waterfront), Willis Wellington Hotel offers some budget-friendly private rooms, especially for solo travellers. Note that breakfast is usually included in the rate.
Check Willis Wellington Hotel out:
- Willis Wellington Hotel on Booking.com
- Willis Wellington Hotel on Trip.com
- Willis Wellington Hotel on Expedia
37. Rydges Wellington Airport – Wellington Airport Accommodation
Need to catch an early flight? You can’t do better than Rydges Wellington Airport, which is just an escalator ride from the terminal. Enjoy modern and sophisticated fixings and furnishings (but eat at the terminal; not the on-site restaurant).
Check Rydges Wellington Airport out:
- Rydges Wellington Airport on Booking.com
- Rydges Wellington Airport on Trip.com
- Rydges Wellington Airport on Expedia
38. Newlands Court Motel – Wellington Suburb Accommodation
If you need a place to stay on your way in or out of Wellington, choose Newlands Court Motel. The motel in the Wellington suburb boasts premium studios to family suites, some with a spa bath.
Check Newlands Court Motel out:
- Newlands Court Motel on Booking.com
- Newlands Court Motel on Trip.com
- Newlands Court Motel on Expedia
39. Quest on Johnston – Self-Catering Accommodation in Wellington City
The other Quest apartment complex in the city centre is Quest on Johnston. The apartments provide more than enough space and amenities for a functional place to stay with kitchen facilities and an ensuite bathroom.
Check Quest on Johnston out:
40. Wellesley Boutique Hotel – Wellington Accommodation for Business Travellers
Relax and unwind among the historical charm of the Wellesley Boutique Hotel. The hotel is an excellent option for those seeking single or double rooms; for business or for leisure.
Check Wellesley Boutique Hotel out:
- Wellesley Boutique Hotel on Booking.com
- Wellesley Boutique Hotel on Trip.com
- Wellesley Boutique Hotel on Expedia
41. Aura Hotel – The Cheapest Hotel in Wellington
With a super central location and super affordable prices, Aura Hotel ticks the right boxes. Rooms offered are double, triple and quadruple with some of those being ensuite. There are shared kitchen and lounge facilities, plus free WiFi.
Check Aura Hotel out:
42. ibis Wellington – Central Hotel Near the Ferry Terminal
Get that city-centre hotel experience but for a fraction of the price at the budget ibis Wellington. There are well-appointed rooms for everyone, as well as an on-site restaurant serving a hot buffet breakfast.
Check ibis Wellington out:
43. Atura Wellington – Affordable Accommodation in Thorndon
The 3.5-star Atura Wellington offers simple yet functional rooms for solo to family travellers, all within walking distance of Lambton Quay and offers all the necessities like free WiFi. The main appeal of the hotel, however, is the contemporary cuisine of Frankie’s Eatery.
Check Atura Wellington out:
44. Airport Motor Lodge – Accommodation Near Wellington Airport
An alternative Wellington Airport accommodation, Airport Motor Lodge provides modern motel-style accommodation with some studios featuring a spa. The motor lodge offers free parking and free airport transfers, making it certainly one of the most convenient accommodations in Wellington.
Check Airport Motor Lodge out:
45. West Plaza Hotel – Disability Access Accommodation in Wellington
West Plaza Hotel provides rooms for all travellers across its five storeys, yet is one of the most accessible accommodations in Wellington for disabled travellers. Enjoy breakfast at the on-site restaurant or the convenience of the city centre cafes nearby.
Check West Plaza Hotel out:
46. Nomads Capital – Cheap Dorm Beds in Wellington City Centre
Free breakfast and (small) dinner, who can complain about the super cheap Nomads Capital? The central hostel is just a few steps from Courtenay Place, Cuba Street and Willis Street.
Check Nomads Capital out:
- Nomads Capital on Booking.com
- Nomads Capital on HostelWorld
- Nomads Capital on Trip.com
- Nomads Capital on Expedia
47. Travelodge Hotel Wellington – Hotel in Wellington CBD
Affordable and familiar, Travelodge Hotel Wellington does the job of being one of the most convenient accommodations in Wellington. The four-star hotel in the city centre offers modern amenities and easy refreshments at its on-site restaurant.
Check Travelodge Hotel Wellington out:
- Travelodge Hotel Wellington on Booking.com
- Travelodge Hotel Wellington on Trip.com
- Travelodge Hotel Wellington on Expedia
48. Thorndon Heritage Listed Villa – B&B Near Wellington City Centre
One of the most upscale B&Bs in the city, Thorndon Heritage Listed Villa is well worth considering. You are the exclusive guests of this lovingly renovated villa, where you’ll have full reign of a large bedroom, a private lounge with a smart TV and a private bathroom with a shower and a freestanding bathtub.
Check Thorndon Heritage Listed Villa out:
49. Naumi Studio Hotel Wellington – Stylish Accommodation on Cuba Street
Inject some whimsy into your stay in Wellington at the Naumi Studio Hotel Wellington. You’ll either love or hate the design of this popping hotel where floral prints are its jam, but at least it complements the essence of Wellington’s famous bohemian hub on which the hotel is located, Cuba Street.
Check Naumi Studio Hotel Wellington out:
- Naumi Studio Hotel Wellington on Booking.com
- Naumi Studio Hotel Wellington on Trip.com
- Naumi Studio Hotel Wellington on Expedia
50. Halswell Lodge – Cheap Accommodation in Wellington City Centre
Halswell Lodge has some extremely affordable single, twin and double rooms for those travelling on a budget, as well as studios. There’s free unlimited WiFi and the lodge has a convenient central location. Kitchen facilities are shared.
Check Halswell Lodge out:
More About Where to Stay and the Best Accommodations in Wellington
That’s it for our list of where to stay and the best accommodations in Wellington, but it’s by no means the end of our Wellington tips! Check out these articles to make the most of your time in Wellington:
- Where to Camp in Wellington
- 25 Best Things to Do in Wellington
- The Food Guide to Wellington: Places to Eat & Food Tours
Finally, if there’s anything we’ve missed, you’re likely to find it in The Complete Travel Guide to Wellington.