21-Day Honeymoon and Couples Itinerary for New Zealand
You have three weeks to make the most of your once-in-a-lifetime honeymoon. If that plan includes travelling around New Zealand in 21 days then make those plans a reality with this New Zealand honeymoon itinerary for three weeks.
This full honeymoon and romance itinerary includes breathtakingly beautiful destinations that serve as a worthy backdrop for a romantic getaway. It mixes adventure, relaxation and more while showing you which romantic accommodations to choose and endearing experiences to have – with multiple choices, of course, so you can curate the ideal itinerary.
So, let’s waste no more time planning an unforgettable honeymoon or couples trip by diving into this New Zealand honeymoon itinerary for 21 days (three weeks). What’s more, we show you how to plan this itinerary the EASY way with First Light Travel – more on that at the bottom of the itinerary.
New Zealand Honeymoon Itinerary for 3 Weeks (21 Days): Overview
- Day 1 – Christchurch Airport to Aoraki Mt Cook National Park
- Day 2 – Explore Aoraki Mt Cook National Park
- Day 3 – Aoraki Mt Cook to Oamaru
- Day 4 – Oamaru to Dunedin
- Day 5 – Dunedin to The Catlins
- Day 6 – The Catlins to Te Anau
- Day 7 – Te Anau to Milford Sound
- Day 8 – Milford Sound to Queenstown
- Day 9 – Explore Queenstown
- Day 10 – Queenstown to Haast
- Day 11 – Haast to Franz Josef
- Day 12 – Explore Franz Josef
- Day 13 – Franz Josef to Greymouth
- Day 14 – Greymouth to Hanmer Springs
- Day 15 – Hanmer Springs to Kaikoura
- Day 16 – Kaikoura to Wellington
- Day 17 – Wellington to Ohakune
- Day 18 – Explore Ohakune
- Day 19 – Ohakune to Rotorua
- Day 20 – Explore Rotorua
- Day 21 – Rotorua to Auckland (via Waitomo)
How to Get Around New Zealand in 3 Weeks
This is a self-drive three-week honeymoon and romance itinerary for New Zealand. We give tips on hiring a vehicle below, as well as additional (and alternative) transport methods to use for travelling 21 days around New Zealand on your honeymoon.
Rental Car or Campervan
Other than your hubby, your most important road trip companion is your rental vehicle. Use a rental company that has depots in Christchurch and Auckland where your itinerary begins and ends. Get started with your research with The Guide to Renting a Car or The Guide Renting a Campervan in New Zealand.
You’ll be taking the ferry between the North Island and South Island on this itinerary. Get tips on ferry travel in The Ferry Between the North Island and South Island.
If you would rather not drive yourselves around New Zealand, escorted bus tours provide an easy alternative. However, escorted tours follow their own set itineraries rather than what is listed below. Check out a range of fully-guided tours on The Best 20+ Days Tours of New Zealand.
Plan more of your honeymoon using The Honeymoon & Romance Guide to New Zealand.
Day 1 – Christchurch Airport to Aoraki Mt Cook National Park
Travel time: 4 hours
Watch the landscape transform from urban to pasture to alpine as you travel between Christchurch and Aoraki Mt Cook National Park. A noteworthy stop along the way is Geraldine for adventurous white water rafting on the Rangitata River or checking out its array of vintage museums. Find out more about these experiences in the 10 Excellent Things to Do in Geraldine.
The next stop is Lake Tekapo where you can soak together in the soothing waters of Tekapo Springs whilst admiring the views of blue lake waters and the Southern Alps. Check out the 10 Unmissable Things to Do in Lake Tekapo for alternative activities here.
Finally, drive on the shores of the vividly blue Lake Pukaki to Aoraki Mt Cook Village. If you have the energy to stay up late, book a stargazing tour at The Hermitage Hotel Mt Cook to learn more about the constellations seen from an International Dark Sky Reserve.
Romantic Accommodation in Mt Cook
- Mt Cook Lakeside Retreat
- The Hermitage Hotel Mt Cook
- Lakestone Lodge
- Mt Cook Lodge and Motel
- Aoraki Court Motel
Check out the 5 Most Romantic Accommodations in Mt Cook for more details on each recommendation.
Day 2 – Explore Aoraki Mt Cook National Park
It’s taken a lot to get here so have a lie-in and embrace the epic mountain scenery from your hotel’s restaurant at breakfast. There are various ways to explore said scenery together, from an intimate helicopter flight over Mt Cook with The Helicopter Line to hiking the free walking trails.
Romantic Experiences in Mt Cook
- Enjoy an intimate helicopter flight among the peaks
- Tackle the Mt Cook hikes together
- Do a glacier kayaking tour with Southern Alps Guiding
- Explore the Tasman Glacier on a heli-hike with Mt Cook Glacier Guiding
- Have a tipple at the Snowline Lounge.
See the 9 Romantic Things to Do in Mt Cook for more details on each activity.
Day 3 – Aoraki Mt Cook to Oamaru
Travel time: 2 hrs 40 mins
Travel from the alps to the ocean today as you make your way from Aoraki Mt Cook to Oamaru. Stop by quaint towns like Twizel for its picturesque riverside walk. See the 10 Fun Things to Do in Twizel for more ways to experience the town.
Next is Omarama where you can treat yourselves to a soak at Hot Tubs Omarama or check out the pinnacle formations of the Clay Cliffs. Both of these attractions are covered in the 5 Fun Things to Do in Omarama.
After Omarama, it’s a scenic journey down the Waitaki Valley featuring boutique wineries, unusual rock formations, fossils and historic Maori rock art. Again, we have more details on these attractions in the 7 Bizarre Sights in the Waitaki Valley.
Finally, you’ll reach Oamaru, which is a town with a healthy Victorian-era, steampunk and penguin obsession. If you have time in the afternoon, treat the senses to the dairy goodness of Whitestone Cheese, which offers factory tours and cheese and wine tastings. We also recommend taking the time to explore the Victorian Precinct adorned with grand whitestone architecture. In the late afternoon/evening, try your luck at spotting rare yellow-eyed penguins from the viewing hides of Bushy Beach.
Romantic Experiences in Oamaru
- Have a stroll in the Oamaru Public Garden
- Indulge in a wine and cheese factory tour and tasting at Whitestone Cheese
- Explore the Victorian Precinct
- Go penguin-watching at Bushy Beach
- Treat yourselves to a couples’ hot pool session at the Old Bones Lodge.
For more information, see the 8 Romantic Activities in Oamaru for Couples.
Romantic Accommodation in Oamaru
For more details on each of our top picks, see the 10 Most Romantic Accommodations in Oamaru.
Day 4 – Oamaru to Dunedin
Travel time: 1 hr 30 mins
On the agenda today is travelling to Dunedin, but not without a quick stop at the perfectly spherical Moeraki Boulders for some obligatory honeymoon snaps.
You should arrive with plenty of time to experience Dunedin, whether it’s learning something new together at the Toitu Otago Settlers Museum or being dazzled by penguins, sea lions and more on the Monarch Wildlife Cruise. You could even treat your loved one to high tea at New Zealand’s only castle, Larnach Castle.
Romantic Experiences in Dunedin
- Soften your heart with wildlife viewings on the Monarch Wildlife Cruise
- Treat her to dinner at one of the fine dining restaurants
- Walk to the “Lovers Leap” on the Otago Peninsula
- Learn something new together at the Toitu Otago Settlers Museum
- Enjoy elegant high tea at Larnach Castle.
Learn about each experience, as well as inspiration for a few more activities, in the 10 Romantic Things to Do in Dunedin.
Romantic Accommodation in Dunedin
See 10 Most Romantic Accommodations in Dunedin for more information on each accommodation.
Day 5 – Dunedin to The Catlins
Travel time: 1 hr 10 mins to 2 hr 20 mins (depending on Catlins accommodation)
Our 21-day New Zealand honeymoon and romance itinerary takes you off the beaten track today with a road trip to The Catlins. Tons of free natural attractions scatter the coast, including marine wildlife viewings, lake and estuary walks, caves and lots and lots of waterfalls. See which attractions you’d prefer to visit using the 18 Amazing Attractions You Can’t Miss in The Catlins. What attractions you miss today you’ll be able to pick up tomorrow as you continue along The Catlins.
Romantic Experiences in The Catlins
- Watch the sunset from the Tautuku Estuary
- Walk to the picturesque Purakaunui Falls
- Do an eco-tour with Catlins Tours
- Admire The Catlins scenery from horseback with Te Taunga Adventures
- Bask in amazing coastal scenery at Nugget Point.
For more details on each experience and others, see the 8 Romantic Things to Do in The Catlins.
Romantic Accommodation in The Catlins
Accommodation in The Catlins is just as scattered as the sights are, so your driving time will depend on where you choose to stay.
- Catlins Mohua Park
- The Fern & Thistle Luxury Accommodation
- RiverRidge Retreat
- Molyneux House
- Kaka Point Spa Accommodation – Catlins
For more details on our top recommendations, check out the 10 Most Romantic Accommodations in The Catlins.
Day 6 – The Catlins to Te Anau
Travel time: 2 hr 40 mins to 4 hours (depending on Catlins accommodation)
Take your time travelling to Te Anau today, as there’s sure to be plenty more in The Catlins left for you to discover. Then, you have the town of Te Anau to look forward to, where romantic activities include admiring the twinkling lights and underground waterfalls of the Te Anau Glowworm Caves (more info on Viator and Klook) and checking out the love birds at the Te Anau Bird Sanctuary.
Romantic Experiences in Te Anau
- Visit the Te Anau Glowworm Caves (more info on Viator and Klook)
- Join the love birds of the Te Anau Bird Sanctuary
- Take a scenic flight over Fiordland National Park with Southern Lakes Helicopters
- Snuggle up at the Fiordland Cinema
- Challenge yourselves to one of the Great Walks or multi-day hikes.
Head to the 10 Incredible Things to Do in Fiordland National Park for more inspiration.
Romantic Accommodation in Te Anau
Learn more about each accommodation in the 10 Most Romantic Accommodations in Te Anau.
Day 7 – Te Anau to Milford Sound
Travel time: 1 hr 30 mins
Often described as one of the most scenic roads in New Zealand, the Milford Road is best taken slowly (i.e. by taking many stops; not driving at 20 km/h). There’s an overwhelming number of sights, short walks and long hikes on this glorious journey winding through glacier-carved valleys. Recommended walks include the Lake Marian Track, Mirror Lakes and the Key Summit Track. However, you can curate your own pitstop itinerary using the 15 Unmissable Stops on the Road to Milford Sound and the 10 Best Milford Sound Walks.
Once you arrive in Milford Sound, you have many options to make the most of the glacier-carved scenery. Tours include scenic flights, fiord cruises and short walks. Alternatively, make the night extra special by taking an overnight cruise in the fiord with RealNZ.
Romantic Experiences in Milford Sound
- Enjoy an intimate scenic flight with Milford Helicopters
- Team up in a double kayak with Rosco’s Milford Kayaks
- Take a scenic day cruise…
- … Or a romantic overnight cruise
- Walk hand-in-hand on one of the Milford Road walks.
See the 10 Romantic Things to Do in Milford Sound for more details on each experience.
Romantic Accommodation in Milford Sound
Milford Sound’s accommodation is extremely limited so be sure to book far in advance. Check out the 10 Best Accommodations in Milford Sound for more accommodation options.
Day 8 – Milford Sound to Queenstown
Travel time: 3 hrs 35 mins
You lucky twosome get to experience the Milford Road again today, stopping by any of the sights or short walks you might have missed on the way in.
Your final destination today is Queenstown, also known as the “Adventure Capital of New Zealand”! Saying that, it also has its fair share of food, wine and relaxation activities. Some of the shorter activities you might be able to squeeze in at the end of the day include a couples’ spa treatment at Body Sanctum Day Spa, on the Nevis or Shotover Canyon Swing, or a cruise on the lake with Southern Discoveries (more info on Viator and Klook). We’ll get into the longer tours tomorrow.
Romantic Accommodation in Queenstown
- Kamana Lakehouse
- The Canyons B&B
- Queenstown Park Boutique Hotel
- Nugget Point Resort & Spa
- Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa
Find out more details about each accommodation in the 15 Most Romantic Accommodations in Queenstown.
Day 9 – Explore Queenstown
Today is your chance to tick off more items from your Queenstown bucket list. Check out the 45 Things to Do in Queenstown for some of the top attractions. Alternatively, we list more “honeymoon-esque” experiences below.
Romantic Experiences in Queenstown
- Fly to a private picnic destination by helicopter with Over The Top Helicopters
- Sample local wines together on a self-cycle Queenstown wine tour with Around The Basin Tours
- Cruise around Lake Wakatipu with Southern Discoveries (more info on Viator and Klook)
- Walk hand-in-hand through the Queenstown Gardens
- Go horse riding at the Walter Peak High Country Farm.
Find out more about each activity in our list of 10 Romantic Things to Do in Queenstown.
Day 10 – Queenstown to Haast
Travel time: 2 hrs 50 mins
Today is all about the journey. Set off early with a quick detour to Arrowtown for its cute gold-mining-town buildings, as well as the attractions listed in the 10 Amazing Things to Do in Arrowtown.
Then, travel over the Crown Range to the Cardrona Valley with glorious views all the way to Wanaka. Stop off in Wanaka to stretch your legs on the lakefront, have lunch or do any of the items we list in the 10 Romantic Things to Do in Wanaka.
After driving along the shores of Lake Hawea and Lake Wanaka, you’ll venture over the Haast Pass and the pristine Mt Aspiring National Park. Some of the most stunning stops along the Haast Pass include the Blue Pools of Haast, Thundercreek Falls and Fantail Falls.
Finally, you’ll feel the stark difference in landscape on the West Coast of the South Island as you reach Haast, a tiny town with a ruggedly beautiful beach scattered with driftwood and a backdrop of mountains. The place feels like a world of its own.
Romantic Accommodation in Haast
- Mountainview Makarora Accommodation
- Wonderland Makaroa Lodge
- Heartland Hotel Haast
- Wonderland Makarora Lodge
Take a look at the 5 Best Romantic Accommodations in Haast for more information on these accommodations.
Day 11 – Haast to Franz Josef
Travel time: 1 hr 55 mins
This morning, you might like to experience one of Haast‘s charming walks or remote jet boat tours taking you from the sea to the mountains.
Romantic Experiences in Haast
- Enjoy one of Haast’s romantic walks
- Land by alpine lakes or fly to Milford Sound via helicopter with HeliServices.NZ or Greenstone Helicopters
- Take a scenic fixed-wing flight over a World Heritage Area with Knights Point Air
- Enjoy a romantic stroll on Haast Beach
- Experience the Mt Aspiring National Park scenery via jet boat with Waiatoto River Safari.
Check out the 6 Romantic Things to Do in Haast for more details on each activity.
When you’re ready to leave Haast, make your way north where you might like to stop at Monro Beach or Ship Creek to admire more of the wild coastal landscapes.
Franz Josef is your final destination. You might want to try your chances at doing a helicopter flight or heli-hike on the glacier if the weather is good (because the weather can change in an instant, causing your tour to be cancelled). Otherwise, we’ll get into more experiences Franz Josef has to offer tomorrow.
Romantic Accommodation in Franz Josef
- Kahere Retreat
- Te Waonui Forest Retreat
- Cosy Cabin in the Paddocks
- Rainforest Retreat
- Holly Homestead B&B
See the 10 Most Romantic Accommodations in Franz Josef for more details on each activity.
Day 12 – Explore Franz Josef
Franz Josef might be a tiny town, but you are spoiled for choice when it comes to unforgettable honeymoon experiences. For instance, see the famous West Coast glaciers from above on an intimate helicopter flight with The Helicopter Line (more info on Viator and KKday), team up in a double kayak for a lake tour with Franz Josef Wilderness Tours (on Viator and Klook), tackle glacier-formed terrain on ATVs and much more.
Romantic Experiences in Franz Josef
- Enjoy an intimate scenic flight and snow landing on the Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers with The Helicopter Line (more info on Viator and KKday)
- Paddle in a kayak together on the beautiful Lake Mapourika with Franz Josef Wilderness Tours (on Viator and Klook)
- Do one of Franz Josef‘s romantic walks
- Tackle the rugged glacial terrain on an ATV with Franz Josef Wilderness Tours
- Soak in soothing private hot tubs in the rainforest with Waiho Hot Tubs.
Take a look at the 10 Romantic Things to Do in Franz Josef for more details on each experience.
Day 13 – Franz Josef to Greymouth
Travel time: 2 hrs 15 mins
Your final destination today is Greymouth, but not without stopping by the cool little town of Hokitika. Here, you can carve each other a souvenir greenstone pendant or take a detour to the brilliant blue pools of Hokitika Gorge. Find out more in the 10 Awesome Things to Do in Hokitika.
There’s more to do in Greymouth once you arrive, such as sampling New Zealand beer at Monteith’s Brewery and watching that famous West Coast sunset from Rapahoe Beach.
Romantic Experiences in Greymouth
- Watch the West Coast sunset from Rapahoe Beach
- Immerse in a cultural experience on a greenstone tour with Arahura Greenstone
- Tackle the West Coast Wilderness Trail together
- Buddy up or go solo on a self-drive 4WD tour with On Yer Bike
- Tour the Monteith’s Brewery.
Take a look at the 10 Romantic Things to Do in Greymouth for more details on each experience.
Romantic Accommodation in Greymouth
- Coleraine Suites & Apartments
- Goldfield Suites
- Copthorne Hotel Greymouth
- Oak Lodge
- Paparoa Beach Hideaway
For more about each accommodation, check out the 7 Most Romantic Accommodations in Greymouth.
Day 14 – Greymouth to Hanmer Springs
Travel time: 2 hrs 45 mins
Enjoy your final morning on the West Coast because it’s time to leave this wild side of New Zealand behind for the alpine landscapes of Hanmer Springs.
On your way there, stop by Reefton for its fascinating electrical power history (yes, we’re serious!) and excellent little coffee shops. You could also stop at the Maruia Hot Springs for an off-the-beaten-track hot pool experience. Otherwise, Hanmer Springs treats you to the largest hot pool complex in the country; so choose your vibe.
Other things to do in Hanmer Springs include a tandem bungy jump at Hanmer Springs Attractions (more info on Viator, Klook and KKday), going for a stroll in the Hanmer Forest or, well, soaking in more hot pools!
Romantic Experiences in Hanmer Springs
- Tackle a tandem bungy at Hanmer Springs Attractions (more info on Viator, Klook and KKday)
- Hit the mountain biking trails together such as Jack’s Pass and Jollie’s Pass
- Peddle around town on a romantic quadricycle from the Hanmer Adventure Centre or Village Cruisers
- Indulge in a couple’s massage at Braemar Lodge And Spa
- Enjoy a romantic stroll in the Hanmer Forest.
For more details and the locations of each activity, head to the 8 Romantic Things to Do in Hanmer Springs.
Romantic Accommodation in Hanmer Springs
Find out more about each accommodation in the 10 Most Romantic Accommodations in Hanmer Springs.
Day 15 – Hanmer Springs to Kaikoura
Travel time: 1 hr 50 mins
Every New Zealand honeymoon needs adorable dolphins and seals. Whales: they don’t exactly evoke romance but they’re pretty awe-inspiring too, so your next destination needs to be Kaikoura. Check out the 5 Top Wildlife Activities in Kaikoura to learn about the different ways to experience dolphins, whales, seals, albatross, etc.
For something more romantic, however, how about teaming up in a double kayak to paddle among the seals with Seal Kayak Kaikoura (more info on Viator and Klook) or enjoying an intimate whale watching flight with Wings Over Whales (on Viator and Klook)?
Romantic Experiences in Kaikoura
- Walk hand-in-hand along the Kaikoura Peninsula Walkway
- Enjoy an intimate whale-watching flight with Wings Over Whales (on Viator and Klook)
- Check out the stunning Puhi Puhi walk
- Gush over the cute lambs at The Point Sheep Shearing
- Test your relationship in a double kayak on a kayaking tour with Seal Kayak Kaikoura (on Viator and Klook).
Find out more about each activity in our list of the 10 Romantic Things to Do in Kaikoura.
Romantic Accommodation in Kaikoura
- Te Mahuru Retreat
- Glenburn Coastal Retreat
- Kaikoura Boutique Hotel
- The White Morph – Heritage Collection
- Hapuku Carriages
Check out the 10 Most Romantic Accommodations in Kaikoura to find out more about each accommodation.
Day 16 – Kaikoura to Wellington
Travel time: 2 hours drive then 3 hrs 30 mins ferry
Book a sunset sailing on the Picton-to-Wellington ferry this evening. Not only because it’s more romantic but because that will give you time to stop in Blenheim for a wine tour of New Zealand’s largest wine region, perhaps with Explore Marlborough.
If you’d rather miss the whole wine thing in Blenheim out, then take an earlier ferry so that you have time to explore Wellington a little more. For instance, you might like to discover the Botanic Garden or visit the national museum of New Zealand, Te Papa. If you haven’t had the chance to learn about New Zealand’s unique ecosystem just yet, then book a trip to Zealandia Ecosanctuary. They also run night tours to see kiwi birds.
Romantic Experiences in Wellington
- Walk hand-in-hand through the Botanic Garden
- Join the love birds in the Zealandia Ecosanctuary
- Learn something new together in the city’s museums
- Be whisked away in the romantic helicopter tour with champagne by Wellington Helicopters
- Join a foodie tour, whether it’s a chocolate factory tour or cocktail tasting.
For more information on each activity, see 10 Romantic Things to Do in Wellington.
Romantic Accommodation in Wellington
- Naumi Studio Hotel Wellington
- Thorndon Heritage Listed Villa
- Pacific View Bed and Breakfast
- Quest on Johnston
- Mövenpick Hotel Wellington
See our 10 Most Romantic Accommodations in Wellington for more information on each accommodation.
Day 17 – Wellington to Ohakune
Travel time: 3 hrs 40 mins
Set your sights on Ohakune at the base of New Zealand’s largest volcano, Mt Ruapehu. But first, you have to get there on a journey that can be broken up with a stroll along the beaches of Queen Elizabeth Park in Paraparaumu. You then have a few quirky towns to admire, such as Bulls with its many “bull” puns and Taihape with its giant gumboot sculpture.
Finally, you’ll reach Ohakune which is your base for exploring the volcanic landscape of the Tongariro National Park. Treat yourselves to one of the town’s cosy restaurants using the recommendations in The Honeymoon & Romantic Getaway Guide to Ohakune.
Romantic Accommodation in Ohakune
For elaboration on each accommodation, check out the 10 Most Romantic Accommodations in Ohakune.
Day 18 – Explore Ohakune
If the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is on your honeymoon bucket list, today is your chance! Check out the Tongariro Crossing Accommodation and Transport: A Practical Guide to see transport from Ohakune and plan your hike.
Other highlights of Ohakune include the awesome cycle trail of the Ohakune Old Coach Road, as well as the multi-day canoe trip known as the Whanganui Journey. If you don’t have the time for a multi-day trip, however, day trips on the Whanganui River to the Bridge to Nowhere are definitely worth it.
Romantic Experiences in Ohakune
- Tackle the Tongariro Alpine Crossing together
- Test your teamwork in a canoe on the Whanganui Journey
- Experience the Ruapehu scenery on a horse trek
- Cycle the Ohakune Old Coach Road
- Learn to ski together on Mt Ruapehu.
Check out the 10 Romantic Things to Do in Ohakune for more details on each experience.
Day 19 – Ohakune to Rotorua
Travel time: 2 hrs 30 mins
You have quite the epic journey ahead of you as you cross the volcanic-formed landscapes of the Central North Island. Keep your fingers crossed for a clear day to soak in the magnificent views of three dramatic volcanoes. Take a 15-minute detour to Whakapapa Village where you’ll find short walks like that to Tawhai Falls, as well as the 2-hour Taranaki Falls Track.
The fun doesn’t end just yet, as the road between Taupo and Rotorua is full of geothermal parks that will blow your mind. Take your pick from Wai-O-Tapu, Waimangu Volcanic Valley or Orakei Korako. Some of the free hot pools are also quick detours off this route, as listed in the 5 Free Natural Hot Pools in Rotorua.
Luckily, you have a whole day to experience Rotorua tomorrow, as for now, you’ll probably want to flop into your hotel room.
Romantic Accommodation in Rotorua
- Black Swan Lakeside Boutique Hotel
- Geyser Lookout BnB
- City Lights Boutique Lodge
- Ngamihi Lodge
- Regent of Rotorua
Check out the 15 Most Romantic Accommodations in Rotorua for more information on our top recommended accommodations.
Day 20 – Explore Rotorua
With only two days left to go on this New Zealand honeymoon itinerary for three weeks, you probably want to relax in a hot pool and reminisce about the good times you’ve had so far. Some of the most endearing activities in Rotorua, however, are best done on an evening. See the beautiful light decorations of the Redwoods Treewalk or kayak under glowworms of Lake Rotoiti with River Rats or Paddle Board Rotorua (more info on Viator and Klook).
Romantic Experiences in Rotorua
- Kayak or SUP through a cave of glowworms with River Rats or Paddle Board Rotorua (more info on Viator and Klook)
- Enjoy the views and the ride of a guided horse trek with Adventure Playground Rotorua
- Walk hand-in-hand on Rotorua’s picture-perfect walks
- Unwind in a natural mineral hot pool at the Polynesian Spa (on Klook and KKday)
- Roll down a hill in a giant hamster ball together at Zorb.
For more information on each activity, check out the 10 Romantic Things to Do in Rotorua.
Day 21 – Rotorua to Auckland (via Waitomo)
Travel time: 4 hours
Make the most of your last day in New Zealand by driving directly to Waitomo for one of the exciting glowworm tours. You could be walking through the candlelit caverns of the Footwhistle Cave with Cave World Waitomo, doing a private cave tour with Glowing Adventures, or an epic caving adventure with The Legendary Black Water Rafting Co. Compare all of your options in the 8 Best Waitomo Cave Tours and the 8 Romantic Things to Do in Waitomo.
Try to not be too depressed as you head back up toward Auckland Airport today. It might be time to say goodbye to New Zealand but it’s hello to the rest of your lives together…
Plan This Honeymoon Itinerary with First Light Travel
If you like this New Zealand honeymoon and romance itinerary for three weeks but don’t like the hassle of planning everything yourself, then there’s a way to lighten the load. First Light Travel is an online travel agent specialising in honeymoon itineraries in New Zealand. Plus, using their service is super simple:
- First, send First Light Travel an enquiry by completing their online form
- Then, you’ll receive your customised honeymoon itinerary
- Review your itinerary and work with your First Light Travel agent on perfecting it
- Finally, First Light Travel will organise the rest including the bookings.
First Light Travel has access to more than 20,000 travel products, including almost all the tours and accommodations featured on this list (and more). With that and their local expertise here in New Zealand, they will create a well-catered honeymoon itinerary to meet your needs while also suggesting some dream travel experiences that you may have never heard of. They only work with companies where their past clients have had positive experiences, so you know you’re in good hands.
What’s more, all of the bookings are arranged by First Light Travel, so instead of having to contact each individual accommodation and operator should your travel plans change, any amendments can be done through your FLT agent – easy! Did we mention the service is at no extra cost to you?!
For more information on planning your own New Zealand itinerary, see How to Create the Perfect New Zealand Road Trip Itinerary. Or better yet, jump on firstlighttravel.com and start making your own itinerary there.
More About a New Zealand Honeymoon and Romance Itinerary for 3 Weeks / 21 Days
That’s it for our New Zealand honeymoon and romance itinerary for 21 days. If that wasn’t the itinerary you were looking for, check out these alternative 21-day itineraries:
- New Zealand in Three Weeks: Road Trip Itinerary
- New Zealand Budget & Backpacking Itinerary: 3 Weeks
- New Zealand Luxury Itinerary: 3 Weeks
- New Zealand Food Itinerary: 3 Weeks
- How to Create the Perfect New Zealand Road Trip Itinerary
Finally, get more advice on planning more of your couples’ trip to New Zealand with The Honeymoon & Romantic Getaway Guide to New Zealand.