30-Day Honeymoon and Couples Itinerary for New Zealand
Not only are you the lucky couple, but you’re luckier still for having an entire month to explore New Zealand on your honeymoon! One month in New Zealand is the ideal duration to explore this diverse country with an overwhelming amount of things to do for couples. Nevertheless, this New Zealand honeymoon itinerary for one month will ensure you hit the hottest destinations, as well as some off-the-beaten-track surprises. All of this is wrapped up in a romantic package, as this itinerary also recommends only the most endearing accommodations and activities for couples.
Start planning the trip of a lifetime using this New Zealand honeymoon and romance itinerary for 30 days (one month).
One Month New Zealand Honeymoon Itinerary: Overview
- Day 1 – Arrive in Christchurch
- Day 2 – Christchurch to Aoraki Mt Cook National Park
- Day 3 – Explore Aoraki Mt Cook National Park
- Day 4 – Aoraki Mt Cook to Oamaru
- Day 5 – Explore Oamaru
- Day 6 – Oamaru to Dunedin
- Day 7 – Dunedin to The Catlins
- Day 8 – The Catlins to Invercargill
- Day 9 – Invercargill to Stewart Island
- Day 10 – Explore Stewart Island
- Day 11 – Explore More of Stewart Island
- Day 12 – Stewart Island to Te Anau
- Day 13 – Te Anau to Milford Sound
- Day 14 – Milford Sound to Queenstown
- Day 15 – Explore Queenstown
- Day 16 – Queenstown to Haast
- Day 17 – Haast to Franz Josef
- Day 18 – Explore Franz Josef
- Day 19 – Franz Josef to Greymouth
- Day 20 – Greymouth to Hanmer Springs
- Day 21 – Hanmer Springs to Kaikoura
- Day 22 – Explore Kaikoura
- Day 23 – Kaikoura to Wellington
- Day 24 – Explore Wellington
- Day 25 – Wellington to Ohakune
- Day 26 – Explore Ohakune
- Day 27 – Ohakune to Rotorua
- Day 28 – Explore Rotorua
- Day 29 – Rotorua to Waitomo
- Day 30 – Waitomo to Auckland Airport
How to Get Around New Zealand in One Month
Following the exact route in this one-month honeymoon itinerary for New Zealand requires couples to self-drive. We give tips on hiring a vehicle below, as well as additional (and alternative) transport methods to use for travelling one month around New Zealand on your honeymoon or romantic getaway.
- Rental car or campervan – The first tool you’ll need for this honeymoon itinerary is a rental vehicle. Use a rental company that has depots in Christchurch and Auckland, of which there are many. Get started on your research with The Guide to Renting a Car or Campervan in New Zealand.
- Ferries – Not only will you be taking the ferry between the North Island and South Island on this itinerary, but you’ll also take a return ferry to Stewart Island. Get tips on ferry travel in The Ferry Between the North Island and South Island and The Complete Travel Guide to Stewart Island.
- Escorted tours – Alternatively, if you would rather not drive yourselves around New Zealand, escorted bus tours provide an effortless option. However, there are no tours that last 30 days, apart from hop-on hop-off bus tours if you stay longer at some destinations. Check out a range of fully-guided tours on The Best 20+ Days Tours of New Zealand.
Plan more of your honeymoon or romantic escape using The Honeymoon & Romantic Getaway Guide to New Zealand.
Day 1 – Christchurch Airport to Christchurch
Travel time: 20 minutes
It’s real; your month-long honeymoon or romantic getaway to New Zealand has begun! Pick up your rental car from the Christchurch Airport then head into the city. Kick off your honeymoon with a romantic experience like punting on the Avon River (more info on KKday, Viator and Tripadvisor) or exploring gorgeous gardens like Mona Vale.
Romantic Activities in Christchurch
- Experience punting on the Avon River (more info on KKday, Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Hike to the top of the Port Hills
- Wander around the picturesque Mona Vale
- Dress up for a night at the theatre
- Book a table for two onboard the Christchurch Tramway Restaurant (on Viator and Tripadvisor).
For elaboration on each activity, check out the 10 Romantic Things to Do in Christchurch for Couples.
Romantic Accommodation in Christchurch
- BreakFree on Cashel
- Chateau on the Park
- Fable Christchurch
- The Towers on the Park
- Orari Bed and Breakfast
For more details on our top recommendations, see the 10 Best Romantic Accommodations in Christchurch.
Day 2 – Christchurch to Aoraki Mt Cook National Park
Travel time: 4 hours
Your honeymoon takes a dramatic turn today as you see the landscape transform from urban to alpine. Between Christchurch and Aoraki Mt Cook National Park, a noteworthy stop is Geraldine for some romantic horse trekking in the Peel Forest or adventurous white water rafting on the Rangitata River. Find out more in the 10 Excellent Things to Do in Geraldine.
The next stop is Lake Tekapo where you can soak together in the hot pools of Tekapo Springs while admiring the views of blue lake waters and the Southern Alps. Check out the 10 Unmissable Things to Do in Lake Tekapo for more activities.
Finally, drive alongside the vividly blue waters of Lake Pukaki to Aoraki Mt Cook Village. If you have the energy, book a stargazing tour at The Hermitage Hotel Mt Cook to learn more about the unbelievably clear constellations seen from an International Dark Sky Reserve.
Romantic Accommodation in Mt Cook
- Mt Cook Lakeside Retreat
- The Hermitage Hotel Mt Cook
- Lakestone Lodge
- Mt Cook Lodge and Motel
- Aoraki Court Motel
For more details on each recommendation, check out the 5 Best Romantic Accommodations in Mt Cook.
Day 3 – Explore Aoraki Mt Cook National Park
Have a lie-in and embrace the epic mountain scenery from your hotel’s restaurant at breakfast. There are various ways to explore said scenery together, from an intimate helicopter flight over Mt Cook (see Viator and Tripadvisor for more details) to hiking the free walking trails.
Honeymoon Activities in Mt Cook
- Enjoy an intimate helicopter flight among the peaks (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Tackle the Mt Cook hikes together
- Do a glacier kayaking tour
- Explore the Tasman Glacier on a heli-hike (on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Have a tipple at the Snowline Bar.
For more details on each activity, see the 9 Romantic Activities in Mt Cook for Couples.
Day 4 – Aoraki Mt Cook to Oamaru
Travel time: 2h40mins
Travel from the alps to the ocean today as you make your way to Oamaru. In fact, you can take a few days out of your itinerary to cycle from Aoraki Mt Cook to Oamaru as part of the Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail. Learn more on our 10 Great Bike Trails on the South Island.
For those of us making the journey the old fashioned way, stop by quaint towns like Twizel for its picturesque riverside walk or one of the other 6 Fun Things to Do in Twizel.
Next is Omarama where you can treat yourselves to a soak at Hot Tubs Omarama or check out the pinnacle formations of the Clay Cliffs. All of these attractions are covered in the 5 Fun Things to Do in Omarama.
After Omarama, it’s a scenic journey down the Waitaki Valley featuring boutique wineries, unusual rock formations like Elephant Rocks, and early Maori rock art. Check off items from the list of 7 Bizarre Sights in the Waitaki Valley.
Finally, you’ll reach Oamaru, a town with a healthy Victorian era, steampunk and penguin obsession. You’ll have time to explore more of the town tomorrow. After an action-packed day, you can be forgiven for wasting no time checking in at your accommodation and collapsing on the bed.
Romantic Accommodation in Oamaru
For more details on each of our top picks, see the 9 Best Romantic Accommodations in Oamaru.
Day 5 – Explore Oamaru
Whether you’re an active couple, foodies, nature-lovers or curious about the more bizarre attractions, Oamaru has activities to suit. Treat the senses to the soothing tastes and textures of Whitestone Cheese, which offer factory tours, cheese and wine tastings (more details on Viator or Tripadvisor). We also recommend taking the time to explore the Victorian Precinct adorned with grand whitestone architecture hiding breweries, boutiques and more. In the late afternoon, try your luck at spotting rare yellow-eyed penguins from the viewing hides of Bushy Beach.
Romantic Activities in Oamaru
- Have a stroll in the Oamaru Public Garden
- Indulge in a wine and cheese factory tour and tasting (more details on Viator or Tripadvisor)
- Explore the Victorian Precinct
- Go penguin-watching at Bushy Beach
- Treat yourselves to a couples’ hot pool session at the Old Bones Lodge.
For more information, see the 8 Romantic Activities in Oamaru for Couples.
Day 6 – Oamaru to Dunedin
Travel time: 1h30mins
On the agenda today is travelling to Dunedin, but not without a quick stop at the perfectly spherical Moeraki Boulders for some honeymoon snaps.
You should arrive with plenty of time to experience Dunedin the way you prefer, whether it’s learning something new together at the Toitu Otago Settlers Museum or hopping on a wildlife tour of the Otago Peninsula (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor). You could even treat your loved one to high tea at New Zealand’s only castle, Larnach Castle (on Viator and Tripadvisor).
Romantic Activities in Dunedin
- Soften your heart with wildlife viewings on the Otago Peninsula (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Treat her to dinner at one of the fine dining restaurants
- Walk to the “Lovers Leap” on the Otago Peninsula
- Learn something new together at the Toitu Otago Settlers Museum
- Enjoy elegant high tea at Larnach Castle (on Viator and Tripadvisor).
Learn about each experience, as well as inspiration for a few more activities, in the 8 Romantic Activities in Dunedin for Couples.
Romantic Accommodation in Dunedin
- Scenic Hotel Southern Cross
- Camp Estate by Larnach Castle
- Aurora on George
- Fable Dunedin
- Kingsgate Hotel Dunedin
For more information on each accommodation, see 10 Best Romantic Accommodations in Dunedin.
Day 7 – Dunedin to The Catlins
Travel time: 1h10mins to 2h20mins (depending on Catlins accommodation)
Our New Zealand honeymoon and romance itinerary for one month takes you off the beaten track today with a road trip to The Catlins. Tens of free natural attractions scatter the coast, including marine wildlife viewings, lake and estuary walks, caves and lots and lots of waterfalls. Check off the items listed in the 18 Amazing Attractions You Can’t Miss in The Catlins, combined with some of the more romantic experiences listed below.
As the accommodation is as scattered as the sights are, your driving time will simply depend on where you choose to stay. Remember, what attractions you miss today you’ll be able to pick up tomorrow as you continue along The Catlins.
Romantic Activities in The Catlins
- Watch the sunset from the Tautuku Estuary
- Walk to the picturesque Purakaunui Falls
- Do an eco-tour with Catlins Scenic & Wildlife Tours
- Admire The Catlins scenery from horseback
- Team up on a kayaking adventure at Nugget Point.
For more details on each experience and others, see the 8 Romantic Activities in The Catlins for Couples.
Romantic Accommodation in The Catlins
- Kaka Point Spa Accommodation – Catlins
- Catlins Mohua Park
- RiverRidge Retreat
- Molyneux House
- Seascape Accommodation
For more information on our top recommendations, check out the 7 Best Romantic Accommodations in The Catlins.
Day 8 – The Catlins to Invercargill
Travel time: 2h10mins to 1 hour (depending on Catlins accommodation)
Take your time travelling to Invercargill today, as there’s sure to be plenty more in The Catlins left for you to discover. If you arrive in Invercargill with time to explore, then have a romantic stroll in Queens Park, make each other love heart chocolates at The Seriously Good Chocolate Company, or browse the impressive vintage vehicle collection of Transport World.
Romantic Activities in Invercargill
- Watch the sunset from Oreti Beach
- Stroll hand-in-hand through Queens Park
- Indulge in Southland cuisine for date night
- Discover thousands of vehicles and “wearable art” at Transport World
- Make each other chocolate hearts at The Seriously Good Chocolate Company.
For more information on each activity, see our 7 Romantic Activities in Invercargill for Couples.
Honeymoon Accommodation in Invercargill
For more details on each accommodation, see the 5 Best Romantic Accommodations in Invercargill.
Day 9 – Invercargill to Stewart Island
Travel time: 20 minutes drive then 1-hour ferry or 5 minutes drive then 20 minutes flight
What’s more romantic than an island escape? Swap the South Island for the subantarctic island of Stewart Island just an hour’s ferry or 20-minute flight away. It’s a place to effortlessly escape to nature thanks to 80% of the island being a national park.
We’ll go more into what you can be doing on the island tomorrow. For now, unwind at your island accommodation.
Romantic Accommodation in Stewart Island
- Church Hill Boutique Lodge & Restaurant
- Sails Ashore Lodge
- Stewart Island Lodge
- Ponga B&B
For more details on our top recommendations, take a look at the 10 Best Romantic Accommodations on Stewart Island.
Day 10 – Explore Stewart Island
Experience Stewart Island the way that suits your style. You could be relaxing with strolls on pristine beaches and carving each other a greenstone pendant as a unique honeymoon gift. Alternatively, make Stewart Island the place where you tackle a famous New Zealand multi-day hike together. Delve into The Honeymoon & Romantic Getaway Guide to Stewart Island to plan your adventure.
Romantic Activities on Stewart Island
- Take on the challenge of a multi-day hike together
- Stargaze in an International Dark Sky Sanctuary
- Carve a greenstone pendant for each other
- Explore the coast by double-kayak
- Go for a romantic stroll on the beach.
For more details on each experience and others, take a look at the 10 Romantic Activities on Stewart Island for Couples.
Day 11 – Explore More of Stewart Island
This could be the second or third day of your multi-day hike or Great Walk on Stewart Island. If not, then take the day to visit Ulva Island, a pest-free island sanctuary where all kinds of native birds thrive and even kiwi birds walk around in the daytime. Seriously, it will make your heart melt. Check out tours to the island on Viator, Tripadvisor and Klook.
More Romantic Activities on Stewart Island
- Join the love birds on Ulva Island
- Enjoy an intimate scenic flight…
- … Or a small-group cruise
- Relax at Stewart Island’s boutique cinema
- Indulge in Stewart Island cuisine.
For more details on each experience, take a look at the 10 Romantic Activities on Stewart Island for Couples.
Day 12 – Stewart Island to Te Anau
Travel time: 1-hour ferry then 2h10mins drive or 20 minutes flight then 1h50mins drive
It might be hard to pull yourselves away from the relaxed pace of life of Stewart Island in order to hit the road again, but trust us, you’re going to love what’s coming up.
Head back to the South Island via ferry or flight and start making your way north to the town of Te Anau. Romantic activities here include admiring the twinkling lights and underground waterfalls of the Te Anau Glowworm Caves (more info on Viator, Tripadvisor, Klook and KKday). A fun free thing to do is check out the love birds in rehabilitation at the Te Anau Bird Sanctuary.
Honeymoon Activities in Te Anau
- Visit the Te Anau Glowworm Caves (more info on Viator, Tripadvisor, Klook and KKday)
- Join the love birds of the Te Anau Bird Sanctuary
- Take a scenic flight over Fiordland National Park with Southern Lakes Helicopters
- Snuggle up at the Fiordland Cinema
- Challenge yourselves to one of the Great Walks or multi-day hikes.
Head to the 10 Incredible Things to Do in Fiordland National Park for more inspiration.
Romantic Accommodation in Te Anau
- Radfords on the Lake
- The Hollows Luxury Log Cabin
- Fiordland Lodge
- Dunluce Bed and Breakfast
- Distinction Te Anau Hotel
Learn more about each accommodation in the 7 Best Romantic Accommodations in Te Anau.
Day 13 – Te Anau to Milford Sound
Travel time: 1h30mins
Often described as one of the most scenic roads in New Zealand, the Milford Road is one best taken slowly (i.e. taking many stops). There’s an overwhelming number of sights, short walks and long hikes on this glorious journey winding through glacier-carved valleys. Some walks we recommend include the Lake Marian Track, Mirror Lakes and the Key Summit Track. However, you can curate your own pitstop itinerary using the 16 Stops You Can’t Miss on the Road to Milford Sound and 11 Milford Sound Walks You Can’t Miss.
Now, once you arrive in Milford Sound, you can experience it through a scenic flight (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor), a cruise or one of the short walks available. Alternatively, make the night extra special by taking an overnight cruise in the fiord with RealNZ (on Klook, Viator and Tripadvisor).
Romantic Activities in Milford Sound
- Enjoy an intimate scenic flight (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Team up in a double kayak to explore the fiord (on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Take a scenic day cruise…
- … Or a romantic overnight cruise
- Walk hand-in-hand on one of the Milford Road walks.
For more details on each experience, see the 5 Romantic Activities in Milford Sound for Couples.
Romantic Accommodation in Milford Sound
Milford Sound’s accommodation is extremely limited so be sure to book well in advance. For more accommodation options, check out the 11 Best Accommodations in Milford Sound.
Day 14 – Milford Sound to Queenstown
Travel time: 3h35mins
You lucky couple get to experience the Milford Road again today, stopping by any of the sights or short walks you might have missed on the way through.
Your final destination today is Queenstown, the “Adventure Capital of New Zealand” but also has its fair share of food, wine and relaxation activities. Some of the shorter activities you might be able to squeeze in at the end of the day include a couples’ spa treatment (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor), a tandem canyon swing (on Viator, Tripadvisor, Klook and KKday) or a cruise on the lake (on Viator, Tripadvisor and Klook). We’ll get into the more elaborate experiences tomorrow.
Romantic Accommodation in Queenstown
Find out more details about each accommodation in the 10 Best Romantic Accommodations in Queenstown.
Day 15 – Explore Queenstown
Tick off more items from your Queenstown bucket list! Check out the 25 Things to Do in Queenstown for generic activities. Alternatively, more honeymoon-esque experiences are listed below.
Romantic Activities in Queenstown
- Fly to a private picnic destination by helicopter (more info on Viator, Tripadvisor and Klook)
- Sample local wines together on a Queenstown wine tour (on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Cruise around Lake Wakatipu (on Viator, Tripadvisor and Klook)
- Walk hand-in-hand through the Queenstown Gardens
- Go horse riding at the Walter Peak High Country Farm (on Viator, Tripadvisor, Klook and KKday).
Find out more about each activity in our list of 10 Romantic Activities in Queenstown for Couples.
Day 16 – Queenstown to Haast
Travel time: 2h50mins
Today is all about the journey! Set off early with a quick detour to Arrowtown for breakfast in the quaint gold mining town with preserved historical buildings. Check out the town’s attractions in the 10 Amazing Things to Do in Arrowtown.
Then, it’s over the Crown Range to the Cardrona Valley with glorious views all the way to Wanaka. Stop off in Wanaka to stretch your legs on the lakefront or do any of the items we list in the 10 Romantic Activities in Wanaka for Couples.
After driving along the shores of Lake Wanaka and Lake Hawea, you’ll venture over the Haast Pass on the edge of the pristine Mt Aspiring National Park. There are many gorgeous short walks to enjoy along the way. Some of our favourites include the Blue Pools of Haast, Thundercreek Falls and Fantail Falls.
Finally, you’ll feel the stark difference of the West Coast of the South Island as you reach Haast with a ruggedly beautiful beach scattered with driftwood and a backdrop of mountains. The place feels like a world of its own.
Romantic Accommodation in Haast
For more information on these accommodations, take a look at the 5 Best Romantic Accommodations in Haast.
Day 17 – Haast to Franz Josef
Travel time: 1h55mins
This morning, you might like to experience one of Haast‘s charms, like its remote jet boat tours or scenic flights.
Romantic Activities in Haast
- Enjoy one of Haast’s romantic walks
- Land by alpine lakes or fly to Milford Sound via helicopter
- Take a scenic fixed-wing flight over a World Heritage Area
- Enjoy a romantic stroll on Haast Beach
- Experience the Mt Aspiring National Park scenery via jet boat (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor).
For more details on each activity, check out the 6 Romantic Activities in Haast for Couples.
When you’re ready to leave Haast, make your way north where you might like to stop at Monro Beach or Ship Creek to admire more of the wild coastal landscapes.
When you reach Franz Josef, try your chances at doing a helicopter flight or heli-hike on the glacier if the weather is good (because these tours are cancelled often due to bad weather). Otherwise, we’ll get into more experiences Franz Josef has to offer tomorrow.
Romantic Accommodation in Franz Josef
For more details on our top picks, see the 5 Best Romantic Accommodations in Franz Josef.
Day 18 – Explore Franz Josef
Franz Josef might be a tiny town, but you are spoiled for choice when it comes to romantic experiences. See the famous West Coast glaciers from above on an intimate helicopter flight (more info on Viator, Tripadvisor and KKday), team up in a double kayak for a lake tour (on Viator, Tripadvisor and Klook), tackle glacier-formed terrain on ATVs (on Viator or Tripadvisor) and much more.
Romantic Activities in Franz Josef
- Enjoy an intimate scenic flight and snow landing on the Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers (more info on Viator, Tripadvisor and KKday)
- Paddle in a kayak together on the beautiful Lake Mapourika (on Viator, Tripadvisor and Klook)
- Do one of Franz Josef‘s romantic walks
- Tackle the rugged glacial terrain on an ATV together (on Viator or Tripadvisor)
- Soak in soothing private hot pools in the rainforest (on Viator or Tripadvisor).
For more details on each experience, take a look at the 8 Romantic Activities in Franz Josef for Couples.
Day 19 – Franz Josef to Greymouth
Travel time: 2h15mins
Your final destination today is Greymouth, but not without stopping by the cool little town of Hokitika. Carve each other a souvenir greenstone pendant if you didn’t do it on Stewart Island or take a detour to the brilliant blue pools of Hokitika Gorge.
There’s more to do in Greymouth once you arrive between sampling the New Zealand beer scene at the Monteith’s Brewery (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor) and watching that famous West Coast sunset from Rapahoe Beach.
Romantic Activities in Greymouth
- Watch the West Coast sunset from Rapahoe Beach
- Immerse in a cultural experience on a greenstone tour (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Tackle the West Coast Wilderness Trail together
- Buddy up or go solo on a self-drive 4WD tour (on Viator or Tripadvisor)
- Tour the Monteith’s Brewery (on Viator and Tripadvisor).
For more details on each experience, take a look at the 10 Romantic Activities in Greymouth for Couples.
Romantic Accommodation in Greymouth
For more about each accommodation, check out the 6 Best Romantic Accommodations in Greymouth.
Day 20 – Greymouth to Hanmer Springs
Travel time: 2h45mins
Enjoy your final morning on the West Coast because it’s time to leave its wild coastline and weather behind for the alpine landscapes of Hanmer Springs.
On your way there, stop by Reefton for its gold mining town vibe and excellent little coffee shops. You could also stop at the Maruia Hot Springs for a hot pools experience more remote than what you’ll find in Hanmer Springs. Otherwise, Hanmer Springs treats you to the largest hot pools complex in the country; so take your pick.
Other things to do in Hanmer Springs include doing a tandem bungy jump together (more info on Viator, Tripadvisor, Klook and KKday), going for a romantic stroll in the Hanmer Forest or, well, soaking in more hot pools.
Romantic Activities in Hanmer Springs
- Tackle a tandem bungy jump (more info on Viator, Tripadvisor, Klook and KKday)
- Hit the mountain biking trails together (on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Peddle around town on a romantic quadricycle
- Indulge in a couple’s massage at Braemar Lodge And Spa
- Enjoy a romantic stroll in the Hanmer Forest.
For more details and the locations of each activity, head to the 8 Romantic Activities in Hanmer Springs for Couples.
Romantic Accommodation in Hanmer Springs
Find out more about each accommodation in the 10 Best Romantic Accommodations in Hanmer Springs.
Day 21 – Hanmer Springs to Kaikoura
Travel time: 1h50mins
Every honeymoon needs cute dolphins, lazy seals and magnificent whales, right? You’ll likely see them all at your next destination, Kaikoura.
Save getting out on the water until tomorrow morning, as the morning is usually the best time to interact with Kaikoura’s marine wildlife while the water is usually a bit calmer. Today, say hello to the seals on the Kaikoura Peninsula Walkway and try the infamous Kaikoura crayfish at a local restaurant. We list dining recommendations in The Honeymoon & Romantic Getaway Guide to Kaikoura.
Romantic Accommodation in Kaikoura
- The Fairways at Ocean Ridge
- The White Morph – Heritage Collection
- Hapuku Carriages
- Manakau Lodge
- Brook House B&B & Cottages
Find out more about each accommodation in the 8 Best Romantic Accommodations in Kaikoura.
Day 22 – Explore Kaikoura
Seal swimming, dolphin swimming and whale watching are all amazing things to do in Kaikoura, which you can learn more about in the 5 Top Wildlife Activities in Kaikoura. For something more romantic, however, how about teaming up in a double kayak to paddle among the seals or enjoying an intimate whale watching flight (more info on Viator, Tripadvisor and Klook)?
Romantic Activities in Kaikoura for Couples
- Walk hand-in-hand along the Kaikoura Peninsula Walkway
- Enjoy an intimate whale-watching flight (more info on Viator, Tripadvisor and Klook)
- Check out the stunning Puhi Puhi walk
- Gush over the cute lambs at The Point Sheep Shearing
- Test your relationship in a double kayak on a kayaking tour (on Viator, Tripadvisor and Klook).
Find out more about each activity in our list of 10 Romantic Activities in Kaikoura for Couples.
Day 23 – Kaikoura to Wellington
Travel time: 2 hours drive then 3h30mins ferry
Book a sunset sailing on the Picton-to-Wellington ferry this evening. Not only because it’s more romantic but because that will give you time to stop in Blenheim for cycling through New Zealand’s largest wine region (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor).
Then, onto the ferry you go for a stunning sunset sailing through the Marlborough Sounds and onwards to the North Island. Learn more about the ferry in our guide to The Ferry Between the North Island and South Island.
Finally, feel free to collapse in a hotel suite in the capital. You have more time to explore the city tomorrow.
Romantic Accommodation in Wellington
- Copthorne Hotel Wellington
- Rydges Wellington
- Naumi Studio Wellington
- Quest on Johnston
- Grand Mercure Wellington
For more information on each accommodation, see our 10 Best Romantic Accommodations in Wellington.
Day 24 – Explore Wellington
Today you have the whole day to explore Wellington. Enjoy some of the free stuff like wandering around the beautiful Botanic Garden or visiting the national museum of New Zealand, Te Papa. If you haven’t had the chance to learn about New Zealand’s unique ecosystem just yet, then book a trip to Zealandia Ecosanctuary (more info on Klook, Viator and Tripadvisor).
Honeymoon Activities in Wellington
- Walk hand-in-hand through the Botanic Garden
- Join the love birds in the Zealandia Ecosanctuary (more info on Klook, Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Learn something new together in the city’s museums
- Be whisked away in the romantic helicopter tour with champagne (on Klook, Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Join a foodie tour, whether it’s a chocolate factory tour or cocktail tasting.
For more information on each activity, see 10 Romantic Activities in Wellington for Couples.
Day 25 – Wellington to Ohakune
Travel time: 3h40mins
Set your sights on Ohakune at the base of New Zealand’s largest volcano, Mt Ruapehu. But first, you have a long drive ahead, which you can break up with a stroll hand-in-hand along the beaches of Queen Elizabeth Park in Paraparaumu. You then have a few quirky towns to admire, such as Bulls with its many “bull” puns and Taihape with its giant gumboot sculpture.
Finally, you’ll reach Ohakune which is your base for exploring the volcanic landscape of the Tongariro National Park. But finally for the evening, get yourselves a bite to eat using the recommendations in The Honeymoon & Romantic Getaway Guide to Ohakune.
Romantic Accommodation in Ohakune
For elaboration on each accommodation, check out the 10 Best Romantic Accommodations in Ohakune.
Day 26 – Explore Ohakune
If the Tongariro Alpine Crossing is on your honeymoon/couples’ must-do list, today is your chance to do it with shuttles providing access to the Crossing from Ohakune. Check out the Tongariro Crossing Accommodation and Transport: A Practical Guide to plan your hike.
Other highlights of the area include the awesome cycle trail of the Ohakune Old Coach Road, as well as the multi-day canoe trip known as the Whanganui Journey. If you don’t have the time for a multi-day trip, however, day trips on the Whanganui River to the Bridge to Nowhere are worth it.
Romantic Activities in Ohakune
- Tackle the Tongariro Crossing together
- Test your teamwork in a canoe on the Whanganui Journey
- Experience the Ruapehu scenery on a horse trek
- Cycle the Ohakune Old Coach Road
- Learn to ski together on Mt Ruapehu.
For more details on each experience, check out the 7 Romantic Activities in Ohakune for Couples.
Day 27 – Ohakune to Rotorua
Travel time: 2h30mins
Crossing the centre of the North Island is quite the journey, so let’s get into it! Keep your fingers crossed for a clear day to soak in the magnificent views of three dramatic volcanoes. Take a 15-minute detour to Whakapapa Village where you’ll find short walks like that to Tawhai Falls, as well as the 2-hour Taranaki Falls Track.
The fun doesn’t end just yet, as the road between Taupo and Rotorua is full of geothermal wonders. Take your pick from Wai-O-Tapu (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor), Waimangu Volcanic Valley (on Viator, Tripadvisor and Klook) or Orakei Korako (on Viator or Tripadvisor). Some of the free hot pools are also a quick detour off this route, as listed in the 5 Free Natural Hot Pools in Rotorua.
Luckily, you have a whole day to experience Rotorua tomorrow, as for now, you’ll probably want to flop into your hotel room.
Romantic Accommodation in Rotorua
- VR Rotorua Lake Resort
- Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort
- Treetops Lodge & Estate
- Solitaire Lodge
- Hamurana Lodge
For more information on our top recommended accommodation, check out the 10 Best Romantic Accommodations in Rotorua.
Day 28 – Explore Rotorua
With only two days left to go on your New Zealand honeymoon itinerary for one month, you probably want to relax in a hot pool and reminisce about the good times you’ve had so far. Some of the most endearing activities, however, are best done on an evening, such as seeing the beautiful light decorations of the Redwoods Treewalk or kayaking under glowworms of Lake Rotoiti (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor).
Romantic Activities in Rotorua
- Kayak or SUP through a cave of glowworms (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Enjoy the views and the ride of a guided horse trek (on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Walk hand-in-hand on Rotorua’s picture-perfect walks
- Unwind in a natural mineral hot pool (on Klook, KKday, Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Roll down a hill in a giant hamster ball together (on Viator, Tripadvisor and Klook).
For more information on each activity, check out the 10 Romantic Activities in Rotorua for Couples.
Day 29 – Rotorua to Waitomo
Travel time: 1h50mins
If your honeymoon isn’t complete without Hobbits then take a 20-minute detour to Matamata on your way to Waitomo. Check out the Hobbiton Movie Set tour – available to book on Viator, Tripadvisor, Klook and KKday. Otherwise, head directly to Waitomo where you’ll pass through Putaruru. Here, take a 10-minute detour to the Blue Spring/Te Waihou Walkway for its fairytale-like setting of clear water moving through verdant reeds.
Once you arrive in Waitomo, you’ll have the chance to hop on one of the exciting glowworm tours there. It could be a walking tour through the candlelit caverns of the Footwhistle Cave with Cave World Waitomo (on Viator and Tripadvisor), a private cave tour with Glowing Adventures (on Viator and Tripadvisor), or an epic caving adventure with The Legendary Black Water Rafting Co. (on Viator, Tripadvisor and Klook). Compare all of your options in the 8 Best Waitomo Cave Tours.
Romantic Activities in Waitomo
- Delve into the candlelit caverns of the Footwhistle Cave (more info on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Embark on a private glowworm cave tour with Glowing Adventures (on Viator and Tripadvisor)
- Take on a caving adventure with the Black Water Rafting Co. (on Viator, Tripadvisor and Klook)
- Stroll hand-in-hand along Waitomo’s walking trails
- Tackle the Timber Trail together (on Viator and Tripadvisor).
For more explanation, take a look at the 8 Romantic Activities in Waitomo for Couples.
Day 30 – Waitomo to Auckland Airport
Travel time: 2 hours
Try to not be too depressed as you head back up toward Auckland Airport today. Spice up your final drive in New Zealand with a 20-minute detour to the Pirongia Forest Park for one last bushwalk. Alternatively, there’s a 25-minute detour to the gorgeous Hamilton Gardens or to do one of the 10 Romantic Activities in Hamilton for Couples.
Return your rental vehicle to the Auckland Airport depot and catch your flight. It might be time to say goodbye to Aotearoa but it’s hello to the rest of your lives together…
More About a New Zealand Honeymoon and Romance Itinerary for One Month / 30 Days
That’s it for our New Zealand honeymoon and romance itinerary for 30 days. If that wasn’t the itinerary you were looking for, check out these alternative 30-day itineraries:
- New Zealand in a Month: Road Trip Itinerary
- New Zealand Budget & Backpacking Itinerary: One Month / 30 Days
- New Zealand Luxury Itinerary: One Month / 30 Days
- New Zealand Foodie Itinerary: One Month / 30 Days
- How to Create the Perfect New Zealand Road Trip Itinerary
Finally, get advice on planning more of your couples’ trip to New Zealand with The Honeymoon & Romantic Getaway Guide to New Zealand.