The Kiwi Access Card (Formerly the Hospitality New Zealand 18+ Card)
Do you get an overwhelming feeling of paranoia every time you go out carrying your precious passport as proof of age? Well you, kind NZPocketGuide.com reader, need to get yourself a Kiwi Access Card (formerly the Hospitality New Zealand 18+ Card or the HANZ 18+ Card)! The Kiwi Access Card is just one of three photographic evidence of age documents you can use to purchase alcohol in New Zealand.
Not only do you need a valid form of ID to even go inside many bars and clubs around New Zealand, but you will also always need it to buy alcohol from any liquor store or supermarket. All in all, it’s much easier and safer to carry a Kiwi Access Card around with your rather than your passport. Another form of valid ID for buying alcohol in New Zealand is a New Zealand driver license. Find out how to get one in Converting Your Driver License into a New Zealand Driver License.
Take a look at our quick guide below to see how to get one of these handy Kiwi Access Cards!
The Kiwi Access Card: Application Form
To get your evidence of age card you will need to fill in the Kiwi Access Card application form. You can download this from the Kiwi Access Card website here. You can also get a Kiwi Access Card Application Form from any participating New Zealand PostShop. You can find a list of participating New Zealand PostShops on the Kiwi Access Card website under ‘where to apply’.
You must complete the application and hand it in in-person at a PostShop along with the relevant documents (listed below) and the NZ$55 fee.
Note: the Kiwi Access Card can be used as evidence of age at restaurants, bars and liquor stores across New Zealand. For access to other goods and services, such as opening a bank account or registering with a doctor, you should check with the individual bank or doctors surgery whether they would prefer to see your passport or Kiwi Access Card as evidence of identity.
What Do I Need for the Kiwi Access Card Application Form?
The application is easy to fill out once you have all the supporting documents listed below!
A Passport-sized Photograph
The photo needs to be less than 12 months old and about 5cm by 4cm.
Similar rules of your passport photo apply for the photo you need to provide for the Kiwi Access Card application a clear full front view of your face and shoulders. Find a full and detailed list of the photo requirements for your Kiwi Access Card application photo here.
You can get your passport photo taken at an NZ PostShop. The price for this service can vary depending on where you get your photos taken. This is the safest method for getting the correct passport-style photo, as they will provide it in the correct size.
Proof of Address
You need a document displaying the same address as the address you have given in the application. This is the address your Kiwi Access Card will be sent to note that the Kiwi Access Cards can only be sent out to New Zealand addresses.A proof of address can be either:
- a statement less than 12 months old from a bank, building society, credit union, credit card company or government department, or
- a bill less than 6 months old, such as electricity, phone or internet, or
- a letter from an employer or educational institute that is less than 12 months old.
An Original Photo ID
The ID must be current or expired under two years ago. These can be one of the following:
- HNZ 18+ card/Kiwi Access Card
- New Zealand driver licence
- Firearms licence
- Certificate of identity issued under the Passport Act 1992
- A refugee travel document issued by or on behalf of the New Zealand Government.
If You Don’t Have the Photo ID Stated Above…
… you will need to fill out Step 5.1 of the application by both yourself and an ‘identifier’. You identifier also needs to write your name, the date and sign the back of your passport-sized photo.
You will need one of the following identification documents. Either:
- a birth certificate showing your full name, any changes of name, date of birth, place of birth and parents’ names, ages and places of birth, or
- confirmation of residence permit issued by the New Zealand Government, or
- a certificate of New Zealand citizenship, or
- a certificate of identity issued under the Immigration Act 1987 (current or expired under two years ago).
You will need your identifier to fill in part of Step 5.1. Your identifier must:
- be over 20 years old
- have a current New Zealand passport, New Zealand photo driver licence, or 18+ Card
- have known you for over a year
- be able to state that you are over 18 years old
- not be a relative, spouse, partner or living at the same address as you.
The $55 Fee
Finally, you will need to pay the NZ$55 fee, so take you bank card or cash with you to the PostShop along with the above documents!
What Happens Once You Hand in the Application and Relevant Documents to NZ Post?
- Keep hold of your receipt until you have received your card
- NZ Post will send your application to be processed
- Your Kiwi Access Card will be delivered to you at the address stated in the application in about two weeks
- Then you can enjoy a hassle-free night out in Auckland, Wellington or Queenstown, for example.