Freedom camping on Department of Conservation land
As well as council land, you are usually able to freedom camp on Department of Conservation (DOC) land. Conservation land includes national parks, forest parks and reserves. However, like some council land, there are areas of conservation land where freedom camping is restricted or prohibited.For an up-to-date list of these areas where freedom camping is restricted or prohibited, see this page of the Department of Conservation website.
Northland Freedom Camping Rules
For New Zealand’s northernmost region, spanning from Cape Reinga through the Bay of Islands and down to the Kaipara towns like Dargaville, these are the pages to the freedom camping rules in the Northland region.
- Far North & Bay of Islands – Far North District Council
- Whangarei – Whangarei District Council
- Kaipara – Kaipara District Council
Learn more about the Northland region in our Northland Guide for Backpackers.
Auckland Freedom Camping Rules
Auckland is not just Auckland City. It’s a whole region that encompasses towns like Warkworth in the north and Pukekohe in the south. The Auckland Regional Council provides freedom camping information on its website.
- Auckland – Auckland Council
Waikato Freedom Camping Rules
The Waikato is the North Island’s largest region covering many districts. While Hamilton is the hub of Waikato, the region also includes Raglan, the Coromandel, Waitomo, Taupo and Matamata.
- Whole Waikato region – Waikato District Council
- Waipa – Waipa District Council
- South Waikato – South Waikato District Council
- Waitomo – Waitomo District Council
- Hamilton – Hamilton City Council
- Matamata – Matamata District Council
- Hauraki – Hauraki District Council
- Coromandel – Thames – Coromandel District Council
- Lake Taupo – Taupo District Council
Bay of Plenty Freedom Camping Rules
The Bay of Plenty region covers cities such as Tauranga and Mount Maunganui, as well as Rotorua, Whakatane and Opotiki.
- Tauranga – Tauranga City Council
- Western Bay of Plenty – Western Bay of Plenty District Council
- Whakatane – Whakatane District Council
- Rotorua – Rotorua Lakes Council
- Opotiki – Opotiki District Council
Gisborne Freedom Camping Rules
The Gisborne region covers the city of Gisborne and the surrounding area. Information on freedom camping in Gisborne is clearly explained on the Gisborne regional website.
- Gisborne Region – Gisborne District Council
Hawke’s Bay Freedom Camping Rules
Hawke’s Bay’s central hub is Napier and Hastings, but the region also covers Wairoa, the Manaia Peninsula and all the way down to Porongahau and Takapau.
- Napier – Napier City Council
- Hastings – Hastings District Council
- Central Hawke’s Bay – Central Hawke’s Bay District Council
- Wairoa – Wairoa District Council
For more information, check out Hawke’s Bay Guide for Backpackers.
Taranaki Freedom Camping rules
On the west side of the North Island, Taranaki includes the cities of New Plymouth and Stratford. The region surrounds the Egmont National Park. Up-to-date freedom camping laws are posted on the following council websites:
Learn more about the Taranaki region in Taranaki Guide for Backpackers.
Manawatu-Whanganui Freedom Camping rules
Another huge region in the North Island, Manawatu-Whanganui’s main centres are Whanganui city and Palmerston North. However, the region reaches from the Ruapehu district around the Tongariro National Park all the way down to Levin and Eketahuna on the edge of the Wellington region.
- Manawatu – Manawatu District Council
- Whanganui City – Visit Whanganui & Whanganui District Council
- Rangitikei – Rangitikei District Council
- Ruapehu – Ruapehu District Council
- Horowhenua – Horowhenua District Council
- Tararua – Tararua Tourism & Tararua District Council
Learn more about this region in Manawatu-Wanganui Guide for Backpackers.
Wellington Freedom camping Rules
Wellington is not only the city of Wellington but the surrounding regions of the Hutt Valley, Porirua, the Kapiti Coast and the Wairarapa.
- Wellington City & Lower Hutt – Wellington City Council
- Kapiti Coast – Kapiti Coast District Council
- Porirua – Porirua City Council
- Wairarapa – South Wairarapa District Council
- Carterton – Carterton District Council
- Masterton – Masterton District Council
Learn more about Where to Camp in Wellington.
Marlborough Freedom Camping Rules
At the top of the South Island, Marlborough is a simple region to understand with only one district council for the entire region. The region encompasses towns such as Picton, Blenheim, Okiwi Bay and Havelock.
- Marlborough – Marlborough District Council
Learn more in our Marlborough Guide for Backpackers.
Nelson Tasman Freedom Camping rules
While the Nelson city district is quite small, the Nelson Tasman region reaches from Golden Bay all the way to Murchison.
Learn more about Nelson Tasman in Nelson Tasman & Golden Bay Guide for Backpackers.
West Coast Freedom Camping Rules
The West Coast of the South Island spans from Karamea in the North all the way to Haast in the south. Westport, Greymouth, Punakaiki, Franz Josef and Fox Glacier all lie in between.
- Greymouth – Grey District Council
- Buller (Westport) – Buller District Council
- Westland – Westland District Council
Learn more in our West Coast Guide for Backpackers.
Canterbury Freedom Camping Rules
As the largest region in the South Island, Canterbury is divided into several districts with some district councils giving more information on their freedom camping bylaws than others.
- Kaikoura – Kaikoura District Council
- Hurunui – Hurunui District Council
- Waimakariri – Waimakariri District Council
- Selwyn – Selwyn District Council
- Christchurch – Christchurch City Council
- Ashburton – Ashburton District Council
- Mackenzie – Mackenzie Tourism & Mackenzie District Council
- Waimate – Waimate Tourism & Waimate District Council
- Waitaki & Oamaru – Waitaki District Council
Otago Freedom Camping Rules
Otago covers Queenstown and Wanaka, as well as Central Otago towns from Alexandra to Ranfurly. The Clutha district hub is Balclutha on the edge of the Catlins Coast. Dunedin is considered the hub of coastal Otago.
- Central Otago – Central Otago District Council
- Dunedin – Dunedin City Council
- Clutha – Clutha District Council
- Queenstown Lakes – Queenstown Lakes District Council
Southland Freedom Camping Rules
The southernmost region of New Zealand has two main hubs of Invercargill and Gore. The region also encompasses Te Anau, Tuatapere and Stewart Island.
Learn more about Southland in our Southland Guide for Backpackers.