How Much is a Taxi in Auckland?
For whatever reason, you want to take a taxi in Auckland. Maybe you need to get somewhere quickly and directly, maybe it’s 3am and you finished partying and need to get back to your accommodation/flat, or maybe you are just too goddamn lazy to walk. Here at NZPocketGuide.com, we don’t judge; we just inform. So here are the Uber and taxi prices in Auckland city.
Because Auckland Airport and Auckland’s main attractions are the most common destinations for taxi travellers, we have stuck with these as destinations. Likewise, most visitors stay in Auckland city centre so this guide also includes the centre as your start/destination point.
Taxi tip: Pay cash! Although most taxi companies accept credit or EFTPOS, that usually comes with an extra fee of NZ$5 to even $10.
Taxi Companies in Auckland
Taxis are in plentiful supply around Auckland Central and the outer suburbs. Some of the top taxi companies include:
- Blue Bubble Taxis/Co-Op Taxis
- Corporate Cabs
- President Taxi
- Alert Taxi
- Taxis United, Manukau District
- Western Cabs, West Auckland
- South Auckland Taxi Association
- North Shore Taxis, North Shore
- Warkworth Taxi & Minibus Charter, North Shore
Cheapest Taxis in Auckland
- Budget Taxis
- Discount Taxis
- Cheap Cabs
Is Uber Available in Auckland?
Yes, Uber is available in Auckland (noteworthy because it still isn’t available everywhere in New Zealand). Prices are similar to budget taxi companies, so you may not necessarily make a huge saving but it’s convenient if you already use the app. And yes, you can take an Uber to the Auckland Airport.
Taking a Taxi or Uber Between Auckland Airport and Auckland City Centre
The most common taxi or Uber trip in Auckland is going between the airport and the CBD. For this reason, many of the taxi services offer a flat rate for Auckland International Airport.
To the city centre, these flat-rate fares can be as little as NZ$33-$40, which is also the price range for an Uber. However, if you just hop in any old cab and are charged by the meter, fares are more likely to be around NZ$60-$75 and can even reach up to NZ$90 with some taxi companies! The traffic congestion can really add to the meter price, and the highway to the airport is one of the busiest roads in New Zealand.
So if a taxi or an Uber is your preferred mode of airport transfer, booking a taxi/Uber with a flat rate is your most affordable option. For more airport transfer options, such as shuttles and buses, check out our guide to the Cheapest Airport Transfer Options for Auckland Airport.
For more advice on arriving at Auckland Airport, take a look at Arriving in New Zealand: Airport Customs, Biosecurity & the Arrival Process.
Uber and Taxi Prices Between Auckland Central and Auckland’s Main Attractions
The quickest way to get to some of Auckland’s main attractions is by taking a taxi or an Uber. Here are the top Auckland attractions you might want to get a taxi to/from Auckland CBD. The lowest prices are taken from the cheapest taxi companies and Uber fares.
- Auckland Museum (more info on Viator, Tripadvisor and Klook) – NZ$10-$24
- Mt Eden – NZ$11-$25
- Newmarket – NZ$12-$29
- St Lukes – NZ$18-$43
- Cornwall Park (One Tree Hill) – NZ$20-$48
- Eden Park – NZ$14-$33
- Mission Bay – NZ$20-$50
- Glenfield – NZ$25-$63
- Sylvia Park – NZ$23-$60
- Devonport – NZ$28-$72
- Albany – NZ$34-$79
How Does this Compare with Other Cities in New Zealand?
Check out the cab prices in New Zealand’s biggest and busiest cities.
Alternative City Transportation in Auckland
Auckland city is very well connected with a number of transportation methods.
- Bus – There’s a huge bus network in Auckland, which you can learn more about in our guide, Public Transport in Auckland
- Train – The Auckland train network takes you to eastern, western and southern Auckland, as well as the upper Waikato region
- Ferry – There are ferries available from Auckland Central to Devonport, many of the Hauraki Gulf islands including Waiheke Island, Howick, the Gulf Harbour and the Coromandel
- From the airport, there are options for shuttles and buses as an airport transfer. Find out more in Cheapest Airport Transfer Options for Auckland Airport
- Walk – A lot of the Auckland attractions are not too far from the city centre. There are heaps of things best seen by walking and following our City Walking Tour Itinerary.
For more information, see Public Transport in Auckland.