A Guide to Cheap Weekly Accommodation in Blenheim
Scattered with beautiful gardens and surrounded by vineyards, there are plenty of draws to Blenheim. Whether you’re here to visit on an extended trip or staying awhile with all the seasonal job opportunities on offer, you’re probably going to need to find cheap long-term accommodation in Blenheim.
Blenheim might be a small city, but it is split into different suburbs. We’ve put together a quick list of the suburbs where you are likely to find some cheap weekly accommodation, as well as outlining how far away they are from Blenheim’s city centre. This accommodation guide to Blenheim is also split into accommodation types, so you can just skip straight to your preferred accommodation style.
So find a place to stay in Blenheim using our nifty guide to cheap long-term accommodation in Blenheim!
Which Blenheim Suburb to Find Long-Term Accommodation?
There is cheap weekly accommodation found all over Blenheim. Here’s a quick rundown on what to expect in each Blenheim suburb in relation to Blenheim city centre. For more about Blenheim, check out Marlborough – Guide for Backpackers.
Note: CBD refers to Central Business District i.e. Blenheim city centre.
- Blenheim Central – Location: city centre. Distance from CBD: you’re in it. Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$160.
- Mayfield – Location: north of the city centre. Distance from CBD: 2min drive/12min walk. Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$180.
- Redwoodtown – Location: south of the city centre. Distance from CBD: 6min drive/30min walk. Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$180.
- Riverlands – Location: east of the city centre. Distance from CBD: 3min drive/30min walk. Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$180.
- Riversdale – Location: north of the city centre. Distance from CBD: 3min drive/23min walk. Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$190.
- Springlands – Location: west of the city centre. Distance from CBD: 5min drive/30min walk. Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$200.
- Witherlea – Location: south of the city centre. Distance from CBD: 6min drive/45min walk. Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$180.
Note that prices are approximate and are subject to change.
Hostels in Blenheim
Hostels are a good place to start when looking for cheap long-term accommodation in Blenheim. Not only do they provide an affordable base for rental-hunting but many also offer weekly rates.
There are 10+ hostels in the city of Blenheim, most of which are either within the city centre or in very close walking distance.
Expect a night in a Blenheim hostel to be NZ$24-$30 per dorm-room bed. Most hostels in this town offer weekly rates of NZ$100-$145 for seasonal workers. Some even exclusively offer their rooms to seasonal workers who will pay rent weekly.
You can always keep the cost of living down along with an extended stay by working for accommodation in a Blenheim hostel. For tips, have a look at How to Find Work for Accommodation in New Zealand.
Renting a Room in Blenheim
Renting a room is common practice in Blenheim to keep the price to a minimum when staying for the long term, usually done if you have landed a job in Blenheim as part of a working holiday.
Rent prices in Blenheim are pretty reasonable compared to other towns in New Zealand but rates are still on the rise. Expect a room to rent in Blenheim to be between NZ$160 and NZ$230 per week. That’s a room to yourself in a flatshare or houseshare. Be aware that most of the Blenheim hostels offer weekly rates on dorm beds for around NZ$100-$145 per week, which could be an alternative option for a long-term stay. Note that prices are approximate and are subject to change.
For advice on how to find a room to rent in Blenheim, have a look at our 6 Resources to Find a Room to Rent in New Zealand. Renting a room involves a more complicated process than staying in short-term accommodation, so get clued up by reading The Paperwork Process of Renting or Flatting in New Zealand.
Airbnb in Blenheim
Stay with a local Blenheim-dweller! Airbnb, the online network of peoples spare rooms available for accommodation, is relatively popular in Blenheim for those seeking a bit of luxury.
Like hostels, Airbnb stays can provide a cheap room while finding something long term. Alternatively, some Airbnb hosts offer weekly rates for cheap long-term accommodation in Blenheim.
You can find Airbnb rooms mostly in Blenheim Central, Springlands and Mayfield. However, at an average of NZ$235 per room per night, you’ll struggle to find an Airbnb room in Blenheim at an ultra-cheap price. Blenheim’s cheaper Airbnb options range from NZ$65 to $100 per night. Note that prices are approximate and are subject to change.
For more information on Airbnb, check out Everything You Need to Know About Airbnb in New Zealand and 10 Tips to Make the Most of Airbnb in New Zealand.
Campgrounds and Holiday Parks in Blenheim
There are a few options for commercial holiday parks and freedom campsites in Blenheim. Holiday parks include:
- Blenheim Bridges Holiday Park in Mayfield offers powered sites and tent sites for NZ$42-$45 per night per two people.
- Riverlands Roadhouse in Riverlands offers powered sites for NZ$25 and non-powered sites for NZ$15 per night.
- Blenheim Backpackers and Motor Camp in Blenheim Central offers powered sites and tent sites for NZ$20-$25 per night, along with weekly prices of NZ$95-$100.
Note that prices are approximate and are subject to change.
Those with a certified self-contained vehicle can freedom camp at Wynen Street car park in Blenheim Central between 6pm and 9am. Check the council website listed on Freedom Camping Rules in New Zealand: Region by Region for up-to-date information.
There are plenty of more holiday parks, freedom camping sites and Department of Conservation campgrounds outside of Blenheim city.
For information about camping, check out our guide to Camping in New Zealand and Accommodation Guide to Holiday Parks in New Zealand.