Where To Find Cheap Accommodation in Palmerston North.
Museums, street art, weekly events around the city, Palmerston North is a city that’s always buzzing. It’s a hub for bike rides and super hikes in the nearby Manawatu Gorge and Te Apiti Windfarm. Whether you are working or exploring Palmerston North, you will find cheap accommodation in Palmerston North.Because Palmerston North city centreis split into many districts, we have put together a quick list of the districts where you are likely to find some cheap accommodation, as well as outlining how far away they are from the city centre. This accommodation guide to Palmerston North is also split into accommodation types, so you can just skip straight to your preferred accommodation style!So find a place to stay in Palmerston North using our nifty accommodation guide to Palmerston North!
Which Palmerston North District To Find Accommodation?
There is accommodation found all over Palmerston North. Heres a quick rundown on what to expect in eachPalmerston North suburb in relation to Palmerston North’scity centre.For more about Palmerston North, check outManawatu Guide for Backpackers.Note: CBD refers to Central Business District i.e.Palmerston North city centre.
- Palmerston North Central Location: city centre,Distance from CBD: you’re in it, Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$130, Average hostel night: NZ$32.
- Papaeioa Location: west of CBD, Distance from CBD: 5min drive/22min walk. Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$120.
- Takaro Location: east of CBD, Distance from CBD: 4min drive/12min walk.Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$140.
- West End Location: southwest of CBD, Distance from CBD: 5min drive/17min walk. Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$120.
- Hokowhitu Location: southeast of CBD, Distance from CBD: 5min drive/21min walk.Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$140.
- Terrace End Location: east of CBD, Distance from CBD: 8min drive/35min walk.Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$150.
- Roslyn Location:North Auckland, Distance from CBD: 8min drive/35min walk.Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$130.
- Kelvin Grove Location: east of CBD, Distance from CBD: 11min drive/1h5min walk. Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$100.
- Milson Location: north of CBD, Distance from CBD: 12min drive/1h30min walk.Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$135.
- Cloverlea Location: northwest of CBD, Distance from CBD: 8min drive/45min walk.Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$120.
- Highbury Location: west of CBD, Distance from CBD: 7min drive/40min walk. Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$110.
- Westbrooke Location: west of CBD, Distance from CBD: 8min drive/55min walk.Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$125.
- Awapuni Location: west of CBD, Distance from CBD: 7min drive/47min walk.Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$120.
- Massey University Location: southof CBD, Distance from CBD: 9min drive/50min walk.Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$125.
Hostels in Palmerston North
There are two hostels in Palmerston North and one hostel-priced accommodation at the Massey University during the summer months (20 November – 31 January).The Railway Hotel Backpackers is a renovated railway hotel turned cheap accommodation with prices starting from NZ$33. Perks include free WiFi, breakfast and some snacks in your room!Pepper Tree Hostel is a BBH hostel situated in an old villa. Sit by the fire, relax in the garden, or play the piano in this homely hostel. Prices start at NZ$30.Both hostels are well located inthe city centre of Palmerston North. For more information, see 5 Best Backpacker Hostels in Palmerston North.We always recommend booking your bed a week or two in advance during summer. You can always keep the cost of living down along with an extended stay by working for accommodation in a Palmerston North hostel. For tips, have a look atHow to Find Work for Accommodation in New Zealand.
Renting A Room In Palmerston North
Renting a room is common practice in Palmerston North to keep the price to minimum when staying in Palmerston North long-term, usually done if you have landed a job in Palmerston North as part of a working holiday. Palmerston North has is a popular student city in New Zealand so rent prices are kept pretty reasonable for students, young professionals and backpackers.Rooms for rent can be found all over the city, even in the city centre. Palmerston North is known to be one of the cheapest cities to find a room for rent in New Zealand with rent usually being between NZ$110 and NZ$135 per week.For advice on how to find a room to rent in Auckland, have a look at our6 Resources to Find a Room to Rent in New Zealand. Renting a room involves a more complicated process than staying in short-term accommodation, so get clued up by readingThe Paperwork Process of Renting or Flatting in New Zealand.
Airbnb in Palmerston North
Stay with a local in Palmerston North! You’ll be calling the city “Palmy” in no time. Airbnb, the online network of peoples spare rooms available for accommodation, is relatively popular in convenient locations around the city centre. However, you may struggle to find AirBnB rooms at backpacker prices with the average Airbnb room in Palmerston North being NZ$86. Airbnb prices start around NZ$39 per room per night. Your first night with Airbnb is on us with this FREE NZ$50 Airbnb credit!Consider an AirBnB room if you are looking for a more local experience.For more information on Airbnb, check outEverything You Need to Know About Airbnb in New Zealandand10 Tips to Make the Most of Airbnb in New Zealand.
Campgrounds and Holiday Parks in Palmerston North
The most central holiday park with power sites, tent sites and cabins is the Palmerston North Holiday Park in the West End district. Prices start at NZ$25.Other campground and holiday park options can be found in the nearby villages and towns. Ashhurst Domain for NZ$10 per night. In and around Woodville includes Woodville Ferry Reserve and Ballance Bridge – free campgrounds for those with a self-contained vehicle (be careful where you park after heavy rainfall – the ground can get pretty muddy). There is also a low-cost campground with power sites at the Woodville Camping Ground. Finally, find free campgrounds for self-contained vehicles in Fielding at Timona Park and Victoria Park Fielding. Power sites and tent sites can be found at Fielding Holiday Park starting from NZ$15 per night.For information about camping, check outCamping in New Zealand. More information on holiday parks can be found in theAccommodation Guide to Holiday Parks in New Zealand.