Healthy(ish) and yummy hostel food in no time at all!
Hostels kitchens are often busy and backpackers are always on the go. In short, hostel food needs to be quick, healthy and yummy. Plus hostel foods need to be cooked without fancy equipment as most hostel kitchens only contain the basic utensils. With that in mind, we’ve put together this list of easy meals to cook in a hostel in 10 minutes!The recipes below provide great ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner and even a dessert that can be cooked quickly in even the most basic kitchens. This should help you add variety to your meals on the go.If on top of lacking time you are also lacking budget, check out those 5 meals ideas under $5 that are perfect for backpackers as well.
To keep the recipes below simple and inspirational, we have skipped a few basic cooking instructions that are just plain obvious. We will assume that:
- All boiling water will have a pinch of salt in it.
- A hot frying pan will be oiled a bit before ingredients are thrown in.
- One knows how to cook an egg in 5 different ways (if you don’t check out 7 Different Ways to Cook an Egg in a Hostel)
Breakfast Muesli, Yogurt and Fruit
Probably the healthiest breakfast aside from just biting in an apple, muesli and fruit and a classic that always pleases with its refreshing taste. Add yoghurt for great consistency and that famous calcium that keeps your bones strong like mum used to say.
Yoghurt (as much as you want)Fruit (pick seasonal local fruits, they will have the best taste)Basic muesli
1. Chop your fruit into bite-sized pieces into a bowl2. Add at least four big spoons of yoghurt (Note: almost all yoghurts are already sweetened in New Zealand so taste if first before adding extra sugar)3. Top-up with muesli4. Mix it all and enjoy with a hot coffee of a fresh orange juice.
Breakfast – Scrambled Eggs
The traditional scrambled eggs never go out of fashion. In this recipe, we suggest using eggs to keep it classic but you can replace it with tofu if you feel like trying something different for a great result as well. Yep, tofu can be delicious, it is not a myth!
3 eggs (or a firm package of tofu)1 spring onion1 clove of garlicHerbs and spices (we suggest: turmeric, cumin, paprika, black pepper, and/or chives)
1. Mix your herbs and spices in a small bowl and keep it on the side2. Warm-up a pan and scramble your eggs in while pouring your seasoning over it, make sure to scramble it thoroughly so the seasoning spreads all over the eggs3. Add chives only one minute before taking the eggs out4. Serve hot with toasts, avocadoes, Tomatoes, or any other sides you fancy.
Breakfast Egg & Sausage Hot dog
Working in the morning and always running out of time? What about a big breakfast easy to eat on the go that is also super easy to cook? Now weve got a great start of the day that will keep you going until lunch.
1 hot dog bun1 sausage1 eggCheeseHerbs and spices (we suggest: black pepper and parsley)
1. Pre-cook the sausage in a frying pan2. Chop the sausage into small bite-sized pieces and throw back in the frying pan with an egg3. Add parsley and black pepper before turning off the heat4. Grate a bit of cheese and mix the last time while you warm up your hot dog bun5. Stuff into your hot dog bun and eat on the go. Add ketchup or mayonnaise for an extra tasty experience.
Lunch – Poached Eggs and Avocado on toast
Healthy and yummy avocados are a great addition to almost any meal. For this recipe, we pair them with poached eggs for an all-day-breakfast lunch that will make every other traveller in the kitchen envious.
2 eggs2 slices of bread an avocadoGrated cheeseCherry tomatoesHerbs and spices (we suggest: salt, black pepper and Italian herbs)
1. Poach two eggs for 5 minutes (4 minutes for super soft eggs)2. In the meantime, toast your bread3. Spread your ripe avocado on the bread4. Place the egg over the toast and sprinkle with grated cheese and herbs and spice5. Serve with a side of cherry tomatoes for extra yumminess
Lunch Chicken Burritos
Extra tasty and super easy to make, chicken burritos are a go-to for a quick lunch before heading out. Vegetarians will know to replace the chicken with mushrooms. If your hostel has a sandwich press, all the better – you can cook your burritos even faster.
100gm of shredded cooked chickenGrated cheese an avocado2 tortillasHerbs and spices (we suggest: cilantro)
1. Mix your cooked chicken, avocado, cheese and spices into a bowl2. Spread evenly between your two tortillas. Make sure to form a lump in the middle of the tortilla3. Close your wraps4. Heat up a pan and grill your tortillas at medium heat for two minutes on each side5. Slice both burritos in half so they are not too hot but just hot enough to enjoy.
Lunch Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Probably the most cooked backpacker food in the world, grilled cheese is an all-time favourite. Pick your bread, pick your cheese, and pick your toppings: you can make it however you want. Instead of elaborating only one recipe of that very simple dish, here are a few variants that you might want to try:Californian mix grilled cheese: Cheese, Avocados and Red onionsSweet & savoury grilled cheese: Cheese, Pear jam and BaconSpicy Mexican grilled cheese: Cheese, Shredded chicken, Capsicums and SalsaItalian flavour grilled cheese: Cheese, Pesto and Fresh tomatoesNew Zealand Southland grilled cheese: Cheese, Onion and Onion soup mixParis select grilled cheese: Brie Cheese and HamLondon bastard grilled cheese: Cheese, Ham and MustardBreakfast grilled cheese: Cheese, Soft Eggs, Sliced Tomato
Dinner Zucchini Pesto Pasta
Light and healthy, this dish is a great option to go to bed full but not stuffed. Plus, it is a bit of a different take on the traditional pasta that most backpackers eat every night. Check out real pasta dish ideas in our 5 Easy Pasta Recipes For Backpackers.
2 zucchinis (also known as courgettes)Pesto5 cashew nuts2 garlic cloves
1. Peel the two zucchinis and slice them into spaghetti. To do so, first, slice them in half (keeping the long side as long as possible) and then chop them in the length as well. Repeat until your slices are the width of large spaghetti2. Throw your zucchinis spaghetti into a frying pan for about a minute only to get them softer3. In the meantime, crush the five cashew nuts and garlic cloves and mix them with the desired amount of pesto in a large bowl4. Add the zucchinis into the large bowl and mix thoroughly5. Eat quickly after cooking with a few cherry tomatoes if you feel like treating yourself.
Dinner Black Beans and Rice
So to make this one in only 10 minutes you will have to get yourself some instant cooking rice or have a whole lot of cooked white rice leftover. Otherwise, you may be in the kitchen for 15 minutes as rice can take a bit of time to cook.
Instant or cooked white rice an onion1 clove of garlic1 can of black beansBurrito mix
1. Cook your chopped onion and garlic into a frying pan until about halfway done2. While it cooks, mix about half of your burrito mix with two teaspoons of water in a mug3. Pour your warm rice into the frying and sty thoroughly4. Pour your mug of burrito mix into the frying pan and stir thoroughly5. Once the burrito mix is spread evenly add, your black beans and stir for another couple of minutes6. Serve hot. Consider stuffing this Black Bean and Rice recipe into capsicum for a fresh summer dinner.
Dinner Chicken Pizza
Yep! You can make yourself a pizza in 10 minutes. Nope, it is not a frozen pizza. Nope, it is not a fast delivery pizza service. Yep, it will be yummy. Yep, there is a trick. All right, lets get down to How to make a Tasty Backpackers Pizza in less than 10 minutes
1 or 2 soft pitasTomato sauce of a red onion100gm of shredded cooked chicken1 mushroomGrated cheese
1. Slice your mushroom and dice your red onion2. Spread tomato sauce onto your soft pitas3. Top it up with your chicken, mushroom and red onion4. Add a thin layer of grated cheese5. Microwave your pizza for about one minute until the cheese melts6. Cut as soon as it gets out of the microwave7. Serve hot and remember: our toppings ideas are just… well ideas, go crazy and try new things!
Dessert Chocolate Mug Cake
Did you know that you could bake awesome chocolate cakes in less than 5 minutes? Thats a pretty great idea to wow your fellow backpackers during a pot luck dinner. So be ready to give that sweet tooth what it wants into time at all. Plus, it is one of the 7 Easy Hostel-Friendly Microwave Recipes.
Self-raising flourCocoaSaltSugarEggMilkMelted butterVanilla extract
1. In a bowl, mix: 35gm of self-raising flour, 1 tablespoon of cocoa, a pinch of salt and 1.5 tablespoons of brown sugar2. In another bowl, mix: 1 egg, 2 tablespoons of milk, 1 tablespoon of melted butter, and a tablespoon of vanilla extract3. Pour the wet mix into the dry mix while stirring thoroughly until it becomes a homogenous mixture4. Use a spoon to evenly fill up 2 mugs (recommended mug size: 500ml)5. Microwave the mugs for 1min to 1min30sec. Check that the cake has risen and the top of it is just set. Keep an eye on it, dont let it burn!6. Serve immediately, with a scoop of ice-cream perhaps? OF COURSE!