Where to Find the Best Motels in Gisborne
Gisborne is a city of motels, from beachfront beauties to outer-city getaways. You’ll find motels with swimming pools to cool off from the hot “Gizzy” sun, as well as motels with their own restaurants or breakfast delivery. Finding a motel in the city or even on the outskirts by lesser-known beaches is completely possible thanks to the variety of locations. So, find the right Gisborne motel to suit you and your crew with this list of the best motels in Gisborne.
While you’re here, don’t forget to plan some awesome experiences using the 20 Best Things to Do in Gisborne.
1. White Heron Motor Lodge – The Best Motel in Gisborne
One of Gisborne’s upmarket motels, White Heron Motor Lodge is a popular pick! The motel is conveniently close to the city centre, making it easy to explore the city, while the modern and tastefully furnished studios and one- and two-bedroom units provide a comfortable stay even for the fussiest travellers. Most units have a king spa bath, should you need pampering, as well as a kitchenette to prepare basic meals.
Check White Heron Motor Lodge out:
- White Heron Motor Lodge on Booking.com
- White Heron Motor Lodge on Trip.com
- White Heron Motor Lodge on Expedia
2. Motel Oasis – Gisborne Motel with a Spa Pool
Boasting some of the most picturesque motel surroundings in Gisborne, Motel Oasis is seriously worth considering. The motel is backed by lush green hills right in between Gisborne city and Wainui Beach, providing a tranquil escape. Stay in one of the affordable single or queen studios or treat your group to a larger family suite with interconnecting rooms. Each of the beach-inspired decorated suites looks out onto the motel’s solar-heated swimming pool – a popular place for guests to relax.
Check Motel Oasis out:
3. Whispering Sands Beachfront Motel – Waterfront Motel in Gisborne
The main reason to stay at this motel in Gisborne is purely for its location. Nowhere else in Gisborne can you enjoy the absolute beachfront like at the Whispering Sands Beachfront Motel. Units feature glass sliding doors that lead directly onto the grassy reserve just steps away from the sandy shores of Waikanae Beach. As for accommodation, there are self-contained motel units and recently renovated apartments with a separate private kitchen, a bathroom and a spacious living area. See other listings like this in the 10 Best Luxury Accommodations in Gisborne.
Check Whispering Sands Beachfront Motel out:
4. Ocean Beach Motor Lodge – Gisborne Motel at Wainui Beach
Ocean Beach Motor Lodge is located between Gisborne city and Wainui Beach, making it easy to get into town when you need yet allowing you to enjoy the beauty of what is many’s favourite beach in Gisborne. What’s more, the motel reinforces the holiday vibe with tropical plants and palms decorating the courtyard, central to the apartment-style units. Each unit features a full kitchen, free WiFi, Sky TV and more. The barbecue area is a good place to relax in summer. See more motels with family-friendly facilities in the 10 Best Family Accommodations in Gisborne.
Check Ocean Beach Motor Lodge out:
- Ocean Beach Motor Lodge on Booking.com
- Ocean Beach Motor Lodge on Trip.com
- Ocean Beach Motor Lodge on Expedia
5. BKs Palm Court Motor Lodge – The Best Motel in Gisborne City Centre
Affordable and centrally located, BKs Palm Court Motor Lodge is a worthy go-to for all types of travellers. The one-bedroom units are a good place to start for families, while budget travellers will find the modern studio units convenient, and discerning travellers can treat themselves to a spa unit. There’s easy parking right out front, a kitchenette to make basic meals and a spa bath in many of the units. Why not order a continental or cooked breakfast while you’re there?
Check BKs Palm Court Motor Lodge out:
- BKs Palm Court Motor Lodge on Booking.com
- BKs Palm Court Motor Lodge on Trip.com
- BKs Palm Court Motor Lodge on Expedia
6. Waikanae Beach Motel – Gisborne Motel at Waikanae Beach
Stay just across the road from Waikanae Beach and a short stroll away from Gisborne’s restaurants and i-SITE at the Waikanae Beach Motel. The motel has just 15 units including studios with various different levels of cooking facilities, as well as one- and two-bedroom units which are fully self-contained. Amenities and decor are basic but comfortable enough for a short stay.
Check Waikanae Beach Motel out:
- Waikanae Beach Motel on Booking.com
- Waikanae Beach Motel on Trip.com
- Waikanae Beach Motel on Expedia
7. Senator Motor Inn
Conveniently located by some of the city’s top cafes, restaurants and wine bars, as well as having self-catering facilities, the Senator Motor Inn is a good choice for foodies and couples. The motel basks in views of the Turanganui River and the Esplanade Marina, best enjoyed from your private balcony. Stay in super spacious units with easy-access showers in the ensuites. Other facilities include free WiFi, a breakfast delivery service and car parking within the motel complex. See more couple-centric motels like this in the 10 Most Romantic Accommodations in Gisborne.
Check Senator Motor Inn out:
8. ASURE Alfresco Motor Lodge – The Best Gisborne Motel on Gladstone Road
The ASURE Alfresco Motor Lodge is built with Mediterranean-style architecture to put you in the true holiday spirit. The small motel offers 14 ground-floor units with self-catering facilities, such as a stove, microwave, toaster, kettle, fridge and all the essential cooking utensils. There are a variety of studios available, from budget to spa studios, while the one- and two-bedroom units are ideal for groups and families.
Check ASURE Alfresco Motor Lodge out:
- ASURE Alfresco Motor Lodge on Booking.com
- ASURE Alfresco Motor Lodge on Trip.com
- ASURE Alfresco Motor Lodge on Expedia
9. Captain Cook Motor Lodge – Cheap Motel in Gisborne
Keeping in with the historical theme, Captain Cook Motor Lodge offers basic motel units with classic decor and furnishings. Nevertheless, they have something for everyone across the 36 rooms from budget studios to interconnecting units ideal for families and groups. There are queen/twin rooms with ensuite bathrooms, while the studios and multi-room units have more facilities, like kitchenettes. Enjoy dining out in the sunny courtyard or dine at the on-site restaurant open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. See more like this in the 10 Best Budget Accommodations in Gisborne.
Check Captain Cook Motor Lodge out:
- Captain Cook Motor Lodge on Booking.com
- Captain Cook Motor Lodge on Trip.com
- Captain Cook Motor Lodge on Expedia
10. Champers Motor Lodge – Gisborne Motel with a Pool
For a social place to stay with loved ones or friends, head to the Champers Motor Lodge. In summer, the solar-heater pool, children’s pool and barbecue area as popular hangouts, while the studios, one- and two-bedroom units are pleasant enough for when you want some privacy. Each unit includes at least a microwave, fridge and hot drink-making facilities, while the multi-room apartments have kitchenettes.
Check Champers Motor Lodge out:
- Champers Motor Lodge on Booking.com
- Champers Motor Lodge on Trip.com
- Champers Motor Lodge on Expedia
11. Teal Motor Lodge – Popular Gisborne Motel on Gladstone Road
Another motel on the popular “motel mile” of Gladstone Road in Gisborne, Teal Motor Lodge is the place to go for rest and relaxation thanks to its outdoor pool and on-site Thai massage studio. The fixtures might seem a little old-school (especially as many are inspired by the historical TEAL Airlines that ran in New Zealand in the 1940s and 50s) but the place is well maintained and feature modern amenities like TVs with streaming services and free WiFi.
Check Teal Motor Lodge out:
12. Tudor Park Motel – The Best Self-Catering Motel in Gisborne
Not only do you get funky Tudor-inspired architecture and timber-lined chalet-style interiors, but you also get full self-catering accommodation including the elusive oven! The Tudor Park Motel offers a variety of unit layouts with free WiFi and parking right outside the door. Keep entertained with Smart TVs with Netflix and enjoy the extensive gardens surrounding the motel.
Check Tudor Park Motel out:
13. Pacific Harbour Motor Inn – The Best Gisborne Motel for Corporate Travellers
A popular motel on the palm tree-lined banks of the Turanganui River and inner harbour marina, Pacific Harbour Motor Inn offers an array of corporate studios, one- and two-bedroom units, access units and an ultra-spacious suite. Your kitchen has the cooking basics, like a microwave and electric stovetop, while the waterfront eateries are only a short walk away. The off-street parking is also a welcome bonus.
Check Pacific Harbour Motor Inn out:
- Pacific Harbour Motor Inn on Booking.com
- Pacific Harbour Motor Inn on Trip.com
- Pacific Harbour Motor Inn on Expedia
14. Bella Vista Gisborne – Gisborne Motel with Free WiFi
A safe go-to for a motel in Gisborne, following the standards of the nationwide motel brand, Bella Vista Gisborne offers harmless motel rooms for discerning travellers. From compact studios with just the basics to one-bedroom units with a full kitchen, the range of room options isn’t as overwhelming as many other motels in Gisborne but at least the choice is an easy one. With off-street parking, free WiFi, Sky TV, cots/highchairs available and some units with a spa bath, Bella Vista Gisborne ticks the right boxes.
Check Bella Vista Gisborne out:
- Bella Vista Gisborne on Booking.com
- Bella Vista Gisborne on Trip.com
- Bella Vista Gisborne on Expedia
15. Waikanae Beach TOP 10 Holiday Park – Gisborne Holiday Park with Motel Units
Finally, don’t rule out a holiday park accommodation in Gisborne, such as the Waikanae Beach TOP 10 Holiday Park. Not only do they do camping sites and cabins with shared facilities for guests, but they also have multiple grades of self-contained motel units and modern apartments. What’s more, the complex has a covered heated swimming pool, a petanque course and a whole bunch of watersports hire equipment to make the most of Gisborne’s main beach.
Check Waikanae Beach TOP 10 Holiday Park out:
- Waikanae Beach TOP 10 Holiday Park on Booking.com
- Waikanae Beach TOP 10 Holiday Park on Trip.com
- Waikanae Beach TOP 10 Holiday Park on Expedia
More Motels in Gisborne
That’s it for our list of the best motels in Gisborne. For more places to stay, as well as things to do, check out these recommendations:
- 10 Best Hotels & Places to Stay in Gisborne
- 17 Best Things to Do in Gisborne
- The Food Guide to Gisborne: Places to Eat & Food Tours
Finally, if there’s anything we’ve missed, you’re likely to find it in The Complete Travel Guide to Gisborne.