Where to Find the Best Hotels in the Bay of Islands
With beautiful islands, fruit orchards and vineyard landscapes, divine food and amazing coastal activities, the Bay of Islands provides the tours and scenery for a trip to remember. All it needs is a good hotel to go with it. Luckily, the seaside town of Paihia offers some of the most renowned hotel chains in New Zealand, while over the water in Russell, a few boutique and historic hotels fill in the gaps. So compare the hotels to find the right fit for you and your group in this list of the best hotels in the Bay of Islands.
1. The Duke of Marlborough (Russell) – The Best Hotel in Russell
New Zealand’s longest-surviving hotel is still going strong after almost 200 years, located on the idyllic water’s edge of historic Russell. Needless to say, The Duke of Marlborough has had a few upgrades, now boasting guest rooms with modern-meets-heritage decor. Rooms are best suited for groups of two, solo travellers or couples, some with waterfront views while budget rooms are also available for the non-fussy. Downstairs is the popular Duke of Marlborough restaurant, while there is also a gym on-site should you need to work off the meals.
Check The Duke of Marlborough out:
- The Duke of Marlborough on Booking.com
- The Duke of Marlborough on Trip.com
- The Duke of Marlborough on Expedia
2. Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands (Waitangi) – The Best Hotel in the Bay of Islands
Close enough to Paihia for convenience but far enough away to enjoy a good dose of nature, the Copthorne Hotel & Resort is an excellent hotel choice in the Bay of Islands. The four-star hotel features an outdoor pool, tennis courts and a restaurant specialising in Kiwi cuisine. Rooms come in the form of affordable “Standard Rooms” or upgrade to the “Superior Harbourview/Seaview Room” with unbeatable views. Upgrade further still to a “Junior Suite” with more space including a lounge and balcony. For more accommodations near Paihia, check out the 10 Best Hotels in Paihia.
Check Copthorne Hotel & Resort Bay of Islands out:
- Copthorne Hotel & Resort on Booking.com
- Copthorne Hotel & Resort on Trip.com
- Copthorne Hotel & Resort on Expedia
3. Kingsgate Autolodge Hotel Paihia (Paihia) – The Best Cheap Hotel in the Bay of Islands
A more affordable hotel option in the Bay of Islands, Kingsgate Autolodge Hotel Paihia not only offers good-value rooms but also has an ultra-convenient location in Paihia town. Hotel rooms have either two double beds or one queen and a single bed, ideal for friends and family travelling together. While the “Standard Room” is comfortable enough, you can upgrade to the “Suite” complete with a separate lounge, spa bath and a private balcony. Communal hotel facilities include a swimming pool, indoor spa, a games room and meals on the waterfront at the on-site restaurant. See more like this in the 10 Best Budget Accommodations in the Bay of Islands.
Check Kingsgate Hotel Autolodge out:
- Kingsgate Hotel Autolodge on Booking.com
- Kingsgate Hotel Autolodge on Trip.com
- Kingsgate Hotel Autolodge on Expedia
5. Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands (Paihia) – The Best Hotel in Paihia
Transition into holiday mode immediately at the Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands with its island-inspired architecture and lush subtropical gardens. The hotel in Paihia offers a range of rooms suitable for couples, families and business travellers, while facilities across the grounds include the relaxed Nikau Restaurant and Lounge Bar, an outdoor swimming pool, Tesla chargers and free WiFi. All of this is within a short walk from Paihia Wharf and the town centre.
Check Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands out:
- Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands on Booking.com
- Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands on Trip.com
- Scenic Hotel Bay of Islands on Expedia
6. Paihia Beach Resort & Spa Hotel (Paihia) – The Best Five-Star Hotel in the Bay of Islands
Pampering and indulgence await at the five-star Paihia Beach Resort & Spa Hotel. After a day doing the major things to do in the Bay of Islands, unwind back a the hotel with spa treatments available at their on-site spa and fine dining at the restaurant. Located on the Paihia waterfront, the hotel boasts tremendous views from its well-appointed studios and two-bedroom apartments. Each room has a kitchenette, an ensuite and optional extras like a spa bath and a balcony with an electronic louvre system. For alternative upscale stays, check out the 10 Best Luxury Accommodations in the Bay of Islands.
Check Paihia Beach Resort & Spa Hotel out:
- Paihia Beach Resort & Spa Hotel on Booking.com
- Paihia Beach Resort & Spa Hotel on Trip.com
- Paihia Beach Resort & Spa Hotel on Expedia
7. Donkey Bay Inn (Russell) – The Best Luxury Hotel in the Bay of Islands
For a unique stay in the bay, check out the boutique hotel the Donkey Bay Inn. Set on the edge of a quiet bay at the back of Russell, this intriguing piece of architecture is a must for art-lovers, as well as those who are open-minded and looking for something unique. The four guest rooms are set around a private courtyard, such as the “Skyfall” room with 360-degree views of the Bay and the apartment-sized “Emperor’s Suite”. See more romantic options like this in the 10 Most Romantic Accommodations in the Bay of Islands.
Check Donkey Bay Inn out:
8. Edgewater Palms Apartments (Paihia) – The Best Apartment Hotel in the Bay of Islands
Like it says on the tin, Edgewater Palms Apartments is your Paihia accommodation set on the water’s edge by a sandy beach. Make the most of the beach with watersports hire, views from the on-site restaurant, or from the infinity pool. The apartment hotel offers a range of fully self-contained apartments so you can enjoy your own space and a true home away from home. There are one and two-bedroom apartments available with your choice of pool/garden or ocean view. Waterfront and penthouse rooms are also an option. For more apartment complexes, check out the 15 Best Holiday Homes & Apartments in the Bay of Islands.
Check Edgewater Palms Apartments out:
9. Paihia Pacific Resort Hotel (Paihia) – The Most Underrated Hotel in the Bay of Islands
A boutique hotel just a short walk from Paihia town centre, the Paihia Pacific Resort Hotel offers affordable room types for everyone: their “Standard Rooms” have one queen bed, “Premier Rooms” have two queens, and “Superior Rooms” have one queen and two single beds. Rooms are spacious and well-appointed containing all the facilities you would expect from a hotel, while guests also have access to the resort’s swimming pool nestled in attractive gardens, a steam sauna, a spa pool and a gym. Continental and cooked breakfast are served in the restaurant every morning.
Check Paihia Pacific Resort Hotel out:
- Paihia Pacific Resort Hotel on Booking.com
- Paihia Pacific Resort Hotel on Trip.com
- Paihia Pacific Resort Hotel on Expedia
10. The Waterfront Suites – Heritage Collection (Paihia) – The Best Bay of Islands Hotel with a Pool
Last but certainly not least, The Waterfront Suites by the Heritage are a luxurious option for travellers who also want the conveniences of home. The stylish suites come with a full kitchen, a separate lounge with Sky TV, and a private patio or balcony. Guests can also make use of the underground car park, a barbecue area and a heated lap pool, as well as a prime position on the waterfront within walking distance of Paihia town centre. For more hotels with cooking facilities, check out the 10 Best Self-Catering Accommodations in the Bay of Islands.
Check The Waterfront Suites out:
- The Waterfront Suites on Booking.com
- The Waterfront Suites on Trip.com
- The Waterfront Suites on Expedia
11. Sea Spray Suites – Heritage Collection (Paihia)
More luxurious offerings from the Heritage, the Sea Spray Suites are set in front of the picturesque Te Ti Beach and just a short walk from the Waitangi Treaty Grounds. The one and two-bedroom suites have a wonderful indoor-to-outdoor flow from your private lounge to a balcony or semi-private balcony, so there’s plenty of space to entertain your family, friends or loved one. You’ll have the convenience of your own kitchen facilities, free WiFi and Sky TV, as well as on-site parking and a barbecue area. All in all, it’s a premium choice for all types of travellers! For more recommendations like this, see the 10 Best Family Accommodations in the Bay of Islands.
Check Sea Spray Suites out:
12. Blue Pacific Apartments (Paihia)
Take in the sea views from your elevated position of the one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments, many with their own spa pool and balcony. Blue Pacific Apartments are the ideal place to relax, make use of your apartment’s kitchen facilities and enjoy proximity to Paihia‘s largest supermarket. The apartment hotel complex is just across the road from Paihia’s best swimming beach, Te Ti Beach, while those travelling with little ones have the benefit of kids’ toys and games available. Check out more child-friendly stays in the 10 Best Family Accommodations in Paihia.
Check Blue Pacific Apartments out:
- Blue Pacific Apartments on Booking.com
- Blue Pacific Apartments on Trip.com
- Blue Pacific Apartments on Expedia
13. Bay of Islands Holiday Apartments (Paihia)
Couples, families and larger tribes will find something to suit at the Bay of Islands Holiday Apartments in Paihia. Each studio, one- and two-bedroom apartment is modernly decorated with nature incorporated into the decor with wooden floors and bamboo furniture. There are full kitchens by tri-fold doors onto your own barbecue area and private lawn, making for a sociable space. While the apartments are not serviced, the rubbish is taken away daily.
Check Bay of Islands Holiday Apartments out:
- Bay of Islands Holiday Apartments on Booking.com
- Bay of Islands Holiday Apartments on Trip.com
- Bay of Islands Holiday Apartments on Expedia
14. Hananui Lodge and Apartments (Russell)
Stay in the historic town of Russell at the Hananui Lodge and Apartments. Boasting unobstructed sea views from its waterfront location, Hananui Lodge offers a wide range of apartments to suit most groups’ needs and wants. The decor is fresh and modern, capturing the daylight shining through your sliding doors out to your private balcony or patio. Guests have access to the lodge’s tennis courts and kayaks, while some apartments feature spa pools.
Check Hananui Lodge and Apartments out:
- Hananui Lodge and Apartments on Booking.com
- Hananui Lodge and Apartments on Trip.com
- Hananui Lodge and Apartments on Expedia
15. Kerikeri Homestead Motel & Apartments (Kerikeri)
A four-star boutique motel and apartment complex with hotel-like facilities in the centre of Kerikeri, the Kerikeri Homestead Motel & Apartments offers a range of appealing modern apartments and studios. From cosy timber-lined studios to premium two-bedroom apartments, the room choices are vast and varied. Apartments are modernly decorated and have unique features like double-glazing, air-conditioning, soundproofed walls, a Smart TV and other little fixtures to make your stay comfortable. Discover more like this in the 10 Best Boutique Accommodations in the Bay of Islands.
Check Kerikeri Homestead Motel & Apartments out:
- Kerikeri Homestead Motel & Apartments on Booking.com
- Kerikeri Homestead Motel & Apartments on Trip.com
- Kerikeri Homestead Motel & Apartments on Expedia
More Hotels in the Bay of Islands
That’s it for our list of the best hostels in the Bay of Islands. For more hotel options or things to do, check out the following:
- 11 BEST Hotels in Paihia
- 15 Best Holiday Homes & Apartments in the Bay of Islands
- 15 Best Things to Do in the Bay of Islands
Finally, if there’s anything about planning a trip to the Bay of Islands that we’ve missed, you’re likely to find it in The Complete Travel Guide to the Bay of Islands.